CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

I went to visit my ex girlfriend at her mother's house. When

Customer Question

I went to visit my ex girlfriend at her mother's house. When I arrived, she was completely naked, on her hands and knees, sweating bullets, in the front lawn pulling weeds. When I asked her why she wasn't wearing clothes, she said because it was very hot. I had to admit, it was a very hot day. So I asked her why she was pulling weeds. She said her mother is making her do it.
It seemed so odd because in the past she is the type of person who is strictly self-conscious about showing her body in public. Anytime in the past when we'd have sex, the blinds had to be completely closed, or curtains drawn. It was bizarre because people were walking by, but they didn't say a word. I felt a little embarrassed by her nakedness out in the open, but also a little aroused. I think I eventually left her be, and went on about my way.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 3 months ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist. Would you mind baring with me while I research and prepare an answer for you? In the meantime, can you tell me any transitions in relationship or career or any other life changes you may be experiencing?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We broke up almost a year ago, but we chose to remain friends. Same career. I lost my car due to being behind in payments. Public transportation is terrible. I miss her dearly, but we believe it's in the best situation to seperate.

Okay, thank you for the additional information. I am sorry that there was a delay. I had a clinic appointment that I needed to finish.

First, I want to share a bit about the theoretical approach that I most often use. This is information that has been suggested in dream interpretation. I think it is important to know these facts when interpreting dreams, but also just interesting tidbits...."Some researchers believe that dreams help you to tackle stress. Dreaming is a necessity and helps to recharge the mind and revitalize the body. In dreams, negative emotions tend to occur twice as often as pleasant feelings. Fear and anxiety are the most commonly expressed emotions in dreams, followed by anger and sadness." In your dream you experience different emotions: "confusion, embarrassment." I tend to like the approach taken by Carl Jung. His research suggests that "Since dreams are a way of communicating with the unconscious, Jung believed that dream images reveal something about yourself, your relationships with others, and situations in your waking life. Dreams guide your personal growth and help in achieving your full potential. Jung also believes that the dream's manifest content is just as significant and revealing as the latent content. By simply discussing what is currently going on in your life, it can help you interpret and unlock the cryptic images of your dreams. Jung's method of dream interpretation is placed more confidently on the dreamer. He believes that you all possess the necessary tools to interpret your own dreams. There is no one correct way to interpret a dream. The meaning of your dreams is a personal judgment and is up to you on how to interpret them. Whatever interpretation feels right to you is most significant and more important than what someone else thinks or believes."

So, let's look at the symbols that exist and what that means to you. Before I complete this, I meant to ask one more thing, Did you feel that you were there to help your ex-girlfriend? Did you have feelings of being with her almost like you were still in the relationship, or did you want to protect her in the dream? What was your emotional response to her presence?

Okay, I think I can go ahead with the interpretation for you. You maintain a friendship with your ex-girlfriend and I feel that this can be hard at times for relationships. It sometimes leads to processing the "what ifs" or " I wonder why" type questions about the break up and why it happened in the first place. I think you are also going through some transitions with losing the car and also trying to get all of your stuff in order to achieve goals. I think that you may have even processed or regressed a time when things did seem a bit better and life was possibly even "less stressful" or at least you had a sense of clarity of what you wanted. So, in this dream you see your girlfriend down on her hands and knees weeding. To me this is symbolic of her being in a vulnerable position (also with the nakedness) with very little to hide and she is in a position where she is unable to hold anything back from you. In the dream she may be offering an opportunity to share with you truthful intentions in the relationship and maybe you felt that you needed more closure on what happened between you. You may have even felt that her own mother was to blame, or that you had a self-conscious feeling that you were not enough for her. Maybe you felt that in some manner, you may have let her family down and so they felt it was best if you split up. This dream may be suggestive of ridding yourself of negativity or releasing a past grudge (even against yourself) in order to build future relationships. The embarrassment that you felt may have been about your own hidden weaknesses, fears, or lack of self-confidence. Don't allow the past relationships to feel like failures; think of them as opportunities to work toward what you want in the long run!

Hope that helps. I would love to hear your feedback. Jules.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks so much. I feel like once my life is order maybe we could attempt another go at the relationship. All she ever wanted from me was to get a better paying job, or at least go to school. All of which were very difficult when the rent is so expensive, my car payment was to be due, and so forth. She made twice the amount I make an hour, and feels she was wearing the pants of the relationship. She did not want to move into a less expensive place. It was beneath her. Her mother had paid for her community college, and university tuition. She does not know what it means to struggle on a daily basis. Her mother was very judgemental of me the entire 7 years.