CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

Okay so last night I had this haunting nightmare. In my dream

Customer Question

Okay so last night I had this haunting nightmare. In my dream I came to strapped to a table. My shirt was off and the head of a goat was between my legs. I was covered in blood but not my blood. I could see all my tattoos on my stomach and arms completely but a new tattoo was on my chest that said "you pay with life" 3 figures walked in that looked like mold covered hand puppets, there heads had no faces and had cockroaches and other bugs crawling in and out of holes where the eyes and mouth would be. They put a needle in my neck and my blood slowly drained onto the floor. From there I came too in perfect human form but younger I'm only 20 but when I re formed I looked healthier. I heard the voice "you pay with life" and I found I had a knife in my hand. I found the 3 faceless figures in another room and killed them by decapitation and brought there heads to an opening where the voice was coming. Thinking I had to pay with someone else's life I put there severed heads in the hole and as I did I felt myself grow farther from death until my curiosity forced me to look in the hole. Inside I saw a 3 eyed Raven and a man with no eyes or nose but a mouth that attacked me I pulled my head from the hole and as I did the bodies of the decapitated forms I killed grabbed me and strapped me back down where the Raven came from the hole and pecked my eyes out and other facial features. I look in the mirror though without eyes and see I look just like the 3 figures from before. Only now when I go to scream all I can say is "you pay with life" what the hell is wrong with me? I am a US Marine and recovering from a cocaine addiction am I losing my mind?
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I will be happy to help you today :) please bare with me while I respond thoroughly to your dream interpretation question :)
I really want to encourage you about this dream. It seems like a daunting nightmare because it felt so very scary, but actually it is not what you may believe it originally fear. It is a very spiritual dream about your recovery. This dream is about the death of your habit. I am going to explain the symbolism in your dream now.
To dream that you are lying on a table indicates your need for nourishment and relaxation. It relates to health concerns and anxieties about your well-being. You mentioned your recovery from addiction, which I commend you on. You see in your dream these figures-- all of the decay, th symbolism of past, present, future, and you are trying to "kill" what has held you down or back. Addiction and the recovery process requires a great deal of strength. And you demonstrate that in your dream even when it feels difficult-- I believe his is your struggle with relapse.
To see a raven in your dream symbolizes betrayal, disharmony, misfortune, and death. The death may be a symbolic death in that it signals an end to a habit or phase in your life. The words in your dream "you pay with your life" is a subconscious awareness of how the addiction affected you, what you lost, or you think you lost, but also the trauma that you endured.
I have to say that as fear and anxiety provoking this dream is, it is a very positive dream about the death or end of your addiction.
Also, I express complete gratitude for the service you offer this country. My cousin is a Marine and I am beyond proud of his service. I am wishing you well in your recovery. If there is more to process, please let me know!
I can continue to process this with you if you would like :)I think that our dreams are safe ways for us to work through anxieties or fears. I meant to add something about the third eye earlier and the number 3. I am so sorry that I forgot that! To dream that you have a third eye symbolizes inner vision, insight, instinct or some psychic ability that you have yet untapped. You are able to see what others cannot. Or you need to start looking within yourself and trust your instincts. If you dream that someone has three eyes, then it indicates that you are seeking out their advice. Pay attention to the message that this person is conveying-- "you will pay with your life" again is about how you recognize the dire effects of addiction if you cannot break the cycle.....Three signifies life, vitality, inner strength. Three also stands for a trilogy, as in the past, present, and future or even mind, body and soul. I think I mentioned it earlier but not why I brought up your past, present and future. I also think that in recovery you have to focus on your mind, body, and soul to maintain progress.