Dream Symbolist
Dream Symbolist, Dream Expert
Experience:  14 yrs. exp. Spiritual Consult. Jr Midwife. Dream Expert
47044666

I have a lot of dreams where I'm trying to find my way

Customer Question

I have a lot of dreams where I'm trying to find my way out of a house alone usually at night with people Around that I once knew but who don't really interact with me much that are unaware of me although I can see them fine. The house or structure is always a complicated maze with features like high beams I have to walk across in order to get to another point of progress or a chasm to jump over. I'm in a hurry but there's nothing special about why. Often times I can go really fast like I'm on roller skates but I'm just gliding not touching the ground and I cannot stop only turn while I'm accelerating ahead. These wake me up terrified.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 11 months ago.

(I need to ask questions about details to find direction(s) for the interpretation.) How is this house Similar to and Different from the house you grew up in? What is your age and living situation? Have you moved away from your fanmily of origin yet? It seems possible that you've missed out somehow on the transition between finishing up high school and/or college and establishing an adult identity with a viable practical relationship to the world of work and other adult relationships.

Are you at some crossroads in your young(ish) adult life where you can't seem to cross over to the next stage involving a connection and routine engagement with the world around you? And you can't get your feet onto the ground so you can control your forward progress.

Please comment on how this vague description of a phase change does or does not fit with what you're experiencing now. I'd like to go further, but not until I know whether what I've suggested fits with your present dream theme(s) or not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I lived in a typical suburban situation in Atlanta. Square box like house with lots of yard and woods. My parents were not in love with each other and my mom was a nag do my dad stayed gone on work and I snuck around a lot to avoid them when I was at home. My mom slept most of the time.I was always kinda popular but always felt awkward like I didn't fit in although I could've been friends with any group or dated any girls. I was smart and athletic but I shunned clubs and sports teams and cliques thinking I was too cool for them. I typically had one or two friends from various groups and in different grades. My two older brothers were gone to college by the time I went to highschool being five and seven years older than me.I unfortunately was misguided and brainwashed by the progressive trash they teach in schools these days and thought religion was stupid and social justice bs was important and believed in abortion and all that they help you fall in line into. I took drugs and thought punk rock and getting laid was important and studying and working hard was beneath me but- my sats were very good so I got into engineering school at Georgia tech and I left home early to go to the city and get away on my own.After doing poorly in school taking lots of drugs and making virtually no friends at all but graduating I moved to Australia to lay around and surf and crap for four years with my girlfriend that I hated. I would not marry her or give her kids or anythingOn a trip home to see my family after barely speaking to them for eight years I got drunk and agreed to open s manufacturing plant in California for my family business. It was in riverside CA and was terrible. Mexican gangsters and dirt and that's it except drugs and gangs. I had no friends and no women. I lived in an apartment and either slept, drank, or worked in a dead end jobThen left and opened a plant in GA.the rest is more of the same except now I live at my moms house and I hate her and I've no job because I got fired from my own company.I'm fourty now. I've been to rehab three times and in critical condition for liver failure but am out and healthy somehow. I've still got no friends. I do have a girlfriend who wants to get married but I don't think we're in love I think she likes an idea of me that's not true.We're moving to Colorado to build a house on a ranch I bought.I've had the same dreams for twenty years though. I can spend hrs looking for something in this out of control fashion. I feel they're about never knowing what I wanted out of life and being afraid. Probably also why I liked to drink too much.
I look at people now like we're not even the same species. Like we float past each other in dreams.psychologists have advised get away from my mom forever.

That's quite a story. The theme of being out of control traveling on the beams near the ceiling reflects your predilection to stay high and not buckle down to get anything done. You seem to have had work-life too easy to feel the need to keep your feet on the ground. The cure for neurosis/ennui is not alcohol but Work. If mom's your chief enabler for the high life, then I agree with the psychologists.

Your dreams are very good if they're persistent about reminding you of your fear of getting down on the ground--because the only way you can find your way out of the oversized wombwhereYouWereHatched is to walk on the ground, and gradually find out what's worth doing the HARD way.

In case no psychologist has ever told you, dreams become persistent when you aren't acting on the information they are showing you. You are in a hurry to get out of your confinement in (your oversized womb) because you should have completed the severing of your psychic umbilical chord in your twenties when you were lying around in Australia instead. You're emotionally right to be terrified, because your life is passing you by, and you're not taking the right steps (ON THE GROUND) to change your direction.

The key to your problems lies in the first sentence of The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, the Best Selling self-help psychology book of the 1980s: LIFE IS DIFFICULT.

I suggest you read it.

I suggest you make a list of all the things you have tried to do or contemplated doing that you gave up on, because they were too hard. Especially those that seemed like they would be actions that would make you proud of yourself. Then write down all the excuses you have invented for not doing each and every one--so you'll get savvy about how you trick yourself to avoid responsibility for your choices.

Then start picking thru your discarded life challenges to pare down to something you're willing to take on, even though it's DIFFICULT--in part because you'll have to stay in one place and stay focused, disciplined and committed to succeed.

If you stay focused, disciplined and committed to this task of sorting thru your missed opportunities to develop a life outside of the womb, you might begin to turn up new possible paths into an enriching encounter with DIFFICULTY instead of just pricking yourself with old needles in your old haystacks.

Your worst enemies are your looks and your family's money, (and probably your mother). Because they enable you to dodge the only paths to make your life meaningful enough to be GOOD instead of just EASY.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm afraid my reply would be argumentative rather than appreciative so I will just say goodbye
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry you couldn't get the message of Scott Peck's first sentence: Life is difficult, and start taking it to heart, so you can find your path of striving on the ground instead of staying on the high beams above the way out of the oversized house that's still confining you. If I gave poked you with words that made arguing more rewarding than getting down to do something difficult, then I've indulged myself at the expense of my effort to explain your dreams' explicit evidence. So I apologize for that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Apparently you didn't notice that I didn't choose to argue you pompous loser. God you are a pathetic sort. I said goodbye. Go troll another site

You're not going to get a "better" (more flattering) or even a different dream interpretation by insulting the most professionally qualified PhD in this dream specialization. Good luck in finding a source more flattering than the truth. Advancing beyond Freud's pioneering approach, Jungian dream interpretation reveals not only the structure of the personality issue being explored (the ungrounded high-beams in the no-exit mansion) but also some pointers toward the way forward in personality development--which your dreanm-ego has (wisely AND desperately) been seeking since young adulthood. If you have any dreams about your new ranch, they may comment on the potential of this latest version of your symbolic quest for actually graduating to post-family-trap & second-half-of-life challenges.

PS. I noticed that you really do need to escape from that oversized maze to come into your own personality development, and you really do need experienced guidance to negotiate that inner maze. And apparently you've been unable or unwilling to form an alliance with a capable psychologist who could furnish that guidance. Apparently a veil of disconnection has also come between your feeling nature and everyone who could be your friends. Both of these central deprivations could be healed through the love-commitment of psychotherapy. That's why I'm telling you the truth despite your insults.