Dream Symbolist
Dream Symbolist, Dream Expert
Experience:  14 yrs. exp. Spiritual Consult. Jr Midwife. Dream Expert
47044666

I retired from work about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I have pretty much

Customer Question

I retired from work about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I have pretty much the same recurring dream since then. I am at work and things are a hot mess. I worked as a nurse and the mess involves, tasks not done, confusion about what needs to be done, etc. I retired happily but I was not unhappy at my job. There were times when things were a mess but also a lot of times when it was easy breezy. I liked my work and my co-workers. This dream occurs fairly regularly as implied above, I almost see it as an old friend who can also be a nuisance at times. I am always relieved when I realize that I am dreaming and not at work. Sometimes I can get a grip on what the issues are in my dreams but this one has me stumped. Help appreciated.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Mrs.SandMan replied 11 months ago.

So within your dream, your stressed out and nothing is going right? Were there anymore details to the dream? Details do help a lot in understanding dreams. Is it basically the same scenario in each reoccurring dream? Or are there any small details that may change in each dream?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I worked different units in nursing. Sometimes it is different units I worked on. No unfamiliar units and the staff are the correct people who worked those units. One uniting them, running late with the work and not being done in time for change of shift. This is bad in nursing as it throws the next shift off starting work.

Do you feel that perhaps you should of stayed working in this area? Do you have feelings of wanting to go back to this kind of work? The dream is showing there are possibly some lingering feelings or thoughts that are connected to your past job.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This does not explain my feeling of relief when I realize it is a dream. I am glad I am retired - I wake up and am happy that on most days I do stuff I want to do, e.g. gym, and not HAVE to do. I do not know if you have worked in health care with direct patient contact or know anyone who does but in extreme weather conditions health care workers are expected to get to work! (when everyone else can stay home). I have been snowed in at work twice - do you think I miss that? (I am in PA, can get heavy snow, once did not see my family for 2 days).

Since retiring I have restarted music lessons and my husband and I act in a local community theater (Brad and Angelina got nothing on us) - never would have had time for this working due to shift work, etc.

I wonder if I should dig deeper and look at control issues - e.g. the feelings of disorganization, etc?

Sorry It was just a question to help me better understand where you are coming from. Yes that does make a lot of sense. I completely understand your feelings towards your last job. The more we speak about our feelings and what we are going through, it often allows the truth to come to surface. Such as you bringing up feelings of being disorganized. If you are feeling this way in your personal life it can lead to your subconscious bringing up dreams of your past work place. Your mind will relate these same feelings you are having to that time in your life. So yes this would be something I would dig deeper into. If one is going through a time in their life where they are feeling similar stress or state of mind, it will trigger a past situation or experience to come forth in a dream.