Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

I had a vision I saw my own birth, my mother and fathers

Customer Question

I had a vision I saw my own birth, my mother and fathers deaths. I felt as though my mother died at birth.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.

Carl Jung suggested, and The Celestine Prophecy repeated this as a fictional ancient wisdom in a Peruvian scroll, that children are unconsciously drawn to carry out the unreached aspirations of both parents in some way, by "living out the unlived life of each one in some way through their own lives. So your vision of your mother dying at (your?) birth could indicate that you could feel challenged to live up to her aspirations and beliefs and live out her life that ceased when you were bound--so you could take over. (That assumes you're female, since most people who submit dreams for interpretation are.) Are you aware of how much you are like your mother? and how much you are different?

This idea has also been represented as the “Great Chain of Being” with the wishes and lifestyle of one generation emerging in theme/variations and psychological legacies in later generations.

I wonder what event(s) or thought(s) might have triggered your mind to see into the depths of your family like this--and if there were any other images that might hint at where that generational momentum could take you.