Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

News story of a friends daughter who committed a mass murder

Customer Question

News story of a friends daughter who committed a mass murder of school mates 24 of them including herself, the news story also showed how the event took place. Her parents response were simply to pray for them and the continued on joyfully with their lives, providing emotional support to others.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.

To begin this interpretation (I'll need to offer at least 3 communications to approach an approximate interpretation) Can you tell me something about yourself, and as many more details about the dream as you remember? How did the news story appear--in writing? or as a story you "knew" first and then "saw" as a video? Are you a mother yourself? How old was the mass murderer daughter? And in what grade at school? How did you know there were precisely 24 murdered schoolmates? Were they both boys and girls? How was the daughter SIMILAR to and DIFFERENT from you (either now or at her age)? Can you think of any recent event(s) or thought(s) that might have triggered this dream?

Does her parents "providing emotional support to others" refer to their normal way of life? or more specifically to their response to the murders?Is this response from your friend and her husband Normal for them as you know them? or unusually pious? Or surprising morally? What are your comments on the religious attitudes and behavior shown in the dream?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a mother of 4. The event was reported to me in the dream, then I saw it on the news. The friends daughter is dick with Leukemia, but is progressing well ( found out after dream) she is a 17 yo in her senior year. The children who she killed were part of some stage production and seemed to have haggled her prior to the shooting. The news story stated 24 dead. Both sexes involved. The girl is the same race as I am but younger. I can't think of anything that triggered this besides her illness as I never dreamt of this young lady before. I have detailed dreams and can quickly interpret but this one was tough. Her parents attend my church and upon learning of illness they simply asked for prayers. But an incident like this ( in the dream) would have more of an emotional response, they did act the way in dream when they lost their infant son, so I guess can be normal for them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never answered dream so hard to rate you.

I wouldn't want you to rate me yet. I presume all of the dream is fictional except her Leukemia? I'm looking for some psychological link between the high school players and the burst of murder (cancer is a start) -- because I'd expect you to dream this Either if there's some hidden psychological insight into HER or into YOU in the symbolic plot. The first thing that pops up in my imagination is Dylan Thomas' villanelle: "Do not go gentle into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

What might the haggling high school players bring up in YOUR biographical imagination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All is fictional except leukemia. High school was fine ( over 20 years ago). I think I got an interpretation. The murders of 24 and self with fake like blood, could be death over sin, possibly her illness and the attention drawn from illness is "haggling"

Was this "haggling" of the girl with leukemia a dark/unkind emphasis on what can develop between the girl who's "different" because afflicted with a (folk-mythological) "evil power" in cancer--who then explodes with the "evil" that has been projected onto her by the "ingroup" who are all "playing the right roles" for the school's currently top-ranked drama? Then her parents take a christian-evenhanded-blessing attitude towards this "eruption of evil." Could your unconscious dreaming mind be exploring the TWO KINDS OF "Human evil"--1. cancer taking over human cells to pervert an innocent girl's nature, and 2. An Organized & tightly interwoven actors-in-a-peer-energy-system who polarize against an "alien-other-girl" who's only a natural anomaly-of-illness--. These would be sophisticated reflections on frequent human disconcerting abnormal behaviors. Yet an eruption of murderous violence against the "normal cellular organisms minor torture, could symbolize the same as blood-cancer in a highschool student-body.

But the question still remains: What is of value to your spiritual development about viewing and reacting to this complex and disturbing social&developmental event? Or is it merely a psychic vision of what a girl's adolescent cancer experience means in her relationship with her peers--and in contrast to her parents' contrasting acceptance of both the disease and the adolescent violence connected to it in some significantly HUMAN way (via the subtle ostracism of the person with "different/alien" cell development?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only value it offers to me spiritually is that the violence is not that against human flesh ( being shot) but against principalities. In reality the school made an announcement for prayer for teen and she has actually had an outpouring of support from peers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we done?