Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

I had a dream that I was talking to my boss and I was giving

Customer Question

I had a dream that I was talking to my boss and I was giving him some suggestions. We we're walking down a high tech building and he held my hand. I perseved this as normal but I knew I wasnt in a relationship with him. Then he went on a counter to sign some papers that where brought to him by another guy. Thought pit this I was talking to him about how he has to care about his employees complaints. Then while still at the counter he tills his head and kisses me gently on my lips. I stayed there because I was scared but curious. My heart raced and I was breathless. He smiled and laugh a little staying only inches away from my face. I got nervous and my heart was still pumping so I woke up.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.

In order to find out what your dream means, we will need to explore the Similarities and differences between the dream's content and what you "know" or believe about your boss's behavior with you and your behavior with him. For it is also possible that your boss's character represents a symbolic part of yourself INSTEAD of or In Addition to representing himself. There is also one initiative on the part of your character--aka "dream-ego"--that is uncharacteristic of an employee-employer relationship, namely your urging him to care about his (other) employees' complaints. It is important to know if you have either considered telling him this, or have actually said something at least somewhat similar to this, either to your boss or to others.

Though a Freudian interpreter might assume that you are projecting your own feelings towards him onto him, or are projecting hunger for a good father onto him, I don't assume that. Dreams can be very sensitive to actual interpersonal energies, so it is possible that you are aware, either subtly or blatantly, of erotic energy emanating from him, e4ither towards women in general or towards you in particular.

So please comment on how the each segment of the dream content matches or contrasts with what you have experienced or could expect to experience in real interaction with him. And what employee complaints are you aware of (or can you imagine) that you might imagine advising him to respond to?

Another possible direction for interpretation would cast your boss as both himself and your own masculine-creative side: That is, perhaps you are in the process of giving birth to a creative initiative that may lead the company forward into a better future, and might also be enthusiastically embraced by your boss, if you let him know about it. Or it's just your own private creative project that could lead you forward in your own personality development, yet your boss's personality and behavior have acted as inspiration for your growing transformation. Perhaps one aspect of your personality growth is reflected by your courage and assertiveness in giving him suggestions for how to improve the functioning of your sec tor of the company--for assertiveness and creative initiatives are both normally unconsciously perceived by women as belonging to their masculine side, and thus also as functioning to complement and complete their feminine personalities and leading them into a new level of self-actualization in their inner and outer lives. (See Wikipedia entry for C.G. Jung "Animus" in women.)

This is only a first approximation towards an interpretation, so please comment on both possible directions of interpretation, which could BOTH be useful--though one may be much more significant for you at present.

PS. After reading my first approximations, can you think of any recent event(s) or thought(s) that are related enough to have triggered your dream?