Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

I had a disturbing dream about a black cat which I first

Customer Question

I had a disturbing dream about a black cat which I first thought was my pet from 39 years ago - a very kind and personable black cat my family loved but which ran away when we moved to a new neighborhood when I was 16 years old. The black cat in my dream
laid down on top of my closed laptop on my bed which I keep next to where I sleep. My actual laptop is silver colored but in my dream it was black. When I first saw the black cat laying on the black laptop, I chucked to myself because I thought the cat was
trying to hide. But then I noticed the cat's eyes were very big and globe-shaped like clear glass balls protruding out of the eye sockets. I realized something was wrong with the cat and I became very worried. I picked up the cat and took it to my mother,
thinking she might know what was wrong with the cat's eyes or perhaps drive me to the veterinarian's office to have the cat examined, i.e. the way my mother did when I was in grade school and one of our cats got sick. My mother did not know what was wrong
with the cat. Then the cat began to wrestle in my arms and I realized it was not the kind pet I had 39 years ago. It was some stray cat that had snuck into my home. It was also smaller and younger than my former pet. And as the cat walked away from me, it
changed color from black to brown. I woke up immediately and was very disturbed by this dream. What might it mean?
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.

It might mean that a part of your animal instinctual self has changed--perhaps stranger and wilder than you have known. Perhaps a part of your instinctual self has become a stranger to you. Do you defer to your mother's judgment even now at the age of 55?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In matters that pertain to my own life and those of my children, I make my own decisions and rely on my own judgment. I am, however, a full-time Home Care Provider for my 85 year old mother with an incurable disease, so yes, we talk and interact daily and in matters pertaining to her home, her estate, and her affairs, yes I do defer to her wishes and judgement albeit with her power of attorney to make decisions for her should she become non compos mentis or become incapable of managing her own affairs that she has not already delegated to me. In my dream, however, the black cat took me back in time to when I was in grade school, sans automobile and driver's license, so yes -- at that time, I had to rely on her if the need called for an*****to the Veterinarian's office. Relevant also to the cat sitting on my laptop was a report I'd worked on that was now overdue online with reviewers standing ready to evaluate, grade, and approve payment for my work. So the large, unusual and protruding eyes of the cat may have had something to do with my knowledge that others were looking for receipt of my overdue report online. Or it may have related to something else. Black cats are frequent symbols found in dreams. Based on your training / interpretation, what might you think this cat represented vis-à-vis my world, or at least, the most typical situation where images of black cats with big eyes are summoned in the subconscious?