Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

Ive had the same dream about 6 times over the past 10 months,

Customer Question

Hi, Ive had the same dream about 6 times over the past 10 months, Alot of my teeth fall out and I spit them onto my hand, I feel horrible when I have it, and so relieved when i wake up, is there a significant meaning to this, or is it just a silly nonsense dream?
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.
All dreams are good dreams, even those that may seem to be nonsense. Your teeth fall out when you are transitioning from baby teeth to those you will use for chewing for most of your adult life. So the symbolism implies that you can no longer just chew up whatever you are fed by the grownups in your life, because you are leaving a more passive and receptive, dependent stage of life to enter soon into a more proactive and assertive kind of living in which you choose carefully what you will "swallow" and what you will "spit out." At this time it must be Either/Or, either you just take what you're given or you just reject it. And underneath that defensive position you're likely to feel very helpless (as if you had no teeth to carefully "chew over" what comes your way to assimilate into your growing personality or to reject because it doesn't taste right (that is your intuition doesn't like it). But once you learn how to evaluate what your family, friends, or other surrounding people are offering to you, once you employ your thinking and intuition more vigorously to determine what you want to accept and not accept, so that your personality development will thrive more like an adult's, then you won't have these Either/Or teeth-spitting dreams anymore.
A transition like this could happen at any time, from preteens, to teens, twenties, thirties or forties. Women used to expect themselves to "swallow" everything they were given, and any age. But now they're choosing what to incorporate into their personalities and what not. But no matter what gender you are, this ability to carefully chew up what you're going to make into a growing part of your personality has to be learned at some point or in several crisis points like what you're experiencing now. Dreams of losing teeth are one way that your unconscious mind signals to you that this dramatic growth in your personality is due to happen now--and you need to take an active part in making it happen.
So you might evaluate some of the assumptions an d actions you normally make to find out if they're really a valuable part of who and what you want to be or not. That's one way you can make sure this dream bears the fruit that it is offering to you.