Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

I always dream my dead grandmother....she was like a mother

Customer Question

I always dream my dead grandmother....she was like a mother to me...she raised me...she past away 3 yrs ago...since then almost everyday I dream her...this dreams are so real!! I know she is dead , but I am not afraid of her....

Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Norman Brown :

Welcome to my dream interpretation studio, where your scenes & symbols can reveal a higher source's view of you & your life & develop your wisdom. "Grandmother" is another word for "great mother," so she symbolizes the energy of Greatmother, Mother-Nature, or Earthmother, the mothering energythat is universally available to everyone. What is actually happening in these dreams? What she is doing in the dreams is probably more than just being there. She may be responding to what's going on in your daily life now, so knowing what actually happens will make the messages that are being shown to you much more meaningful. Is there any relationship between what each dream is showing you and something going on now in your experience, your mind, or your heart?

Dr. Norman Brown :

The dreams would not be coming repeatedly if they were not trying to get you to realize something, and quite possibly MORE than just that she is always watching over you and always ready to help you, perhaps to remind you of the faith you had of your birthright of being lovable for as long as she was alive and doing her best to raise you. Are you perhaps depressed about her not being around in person to help you believe in yourself and your ability to get what you need in your world?

Customer:

in my dreams she tries to tell me something but i just can here it.....also i am making sure she is comfortable

Customer:

i did suffer a great depression when she pass....I still cant not get used to the fact she is gone

Dr. Norman Brown :

So you are making sure she is comfortable. Were you perhaps worried about her because of her fragile health in her last months? Did you believe that you were keeping her alive by making sure she was comfortable?

Customer:

I always pray to her for her guides and to protect my children....

Customer:

she had a aniorisum ....she died unexpectly ....we were taking and suddenly she just lost response

Customer:

She live with me.....she was a strong woman...thats why i dont understand why she died this way!!!

Dr. Norman Brown :

It is possible that you are still trying to take good enough care of her that she will stay alive, because you are assuming that you must keep sustaining her because she kept sustaining you. But she was presumably at least 35 years older than you!

Customer:

last night i had a dream of her ..were i was trying to run and she is holding me ....i finally let go to run to see my children and i saw them sleeping

Customer:

she died at 80yrs old....i am not 38yrs....at the time i was 35

Dr. Norman Brown :

Her strength was not in her body and her organs, but in her will and her motherly intentions. She is still alive in her intentions because the great-mothering energy comes to you through her image. Let's think about last night's dream.

Customer:

my dreams are so real!! I know she is dead but I dont fear here at all....we are having a great conversation, but it come for her to tell me something impotant either i wake up or i just can hear her anymore

Dr. Norman Brown :

You were trying to run to see your own children, but you had to let go of her to do that. So was she holding you? or were you holding onto her? or both?

Customer:

I pray for her... I try to let go but she keeps on coming back in my dreams....I know she wants to tell me something but she cant tell me ....

Customer:

She was holding on to me

Customer:

I was trying to get away ...but she was holding my hand so tight.....finally I was able to pull away

Dr. Norman Brown :

Apparently it was your choice to let go of her than made it possible to find out that your children were sleeping, and therefore DIDN'T need you. Does that mean that you had to decide that you DIDN'T need your grandmother, in order to run (is there desperation in your running to check on your children?) and see that your children DIDN'T need you either?

Customer:

I felt like my children were in danger.....yes i felt desprete

Dr. Norman Brown :

So SHE'S desperately holding onto you, and she's trying to tell you something. Was she apparently determined to STAY ALIVE TO HELP YOU before she died suddenly 3 years ago?

Customer:

She always told me that her job was to make sure I was ok....then I got married had my children..so now her job was to make sure that my boys were ok as well

Customer:

my real parents had me at a very young age....my grandmother was my real mother mom....they got divorce my grandmother to over me cuz my mother was to young to take care of me...

Dr. Norman Brown :

Perhaps you have adopted the same desperation that she had, since it is quite normal for elderly mothers to FIRMLY BELIEVE that their daughters (particularly daughters) cannot make it through their life challenges without their (motherly) presence and guidance at their sides. Yet the dream's story itself shows that you NEED to break free of her ironclad necessity of making sure that you and your boys would be ok, and that by breaking free you promptly discover that your boys ARE ok without YOUR constant watching and worrying as well. WATCHING AND WORRYING are number one concerns of good mothers when their children are too small to watch out for themselves. But when the (boys especially) get older, their mother's watching and worrying becomes OPPRESSIVE and POSSESSIVE!

Customer:

I just wish that she can tell what she wants to say to me....so she can rest in peace.....

Customer:

thank you!! for your help....your answers make sense ...but I guess the answer that i am looking for wont be until my grandmother can tell me in my dreams what she is trying to tell me.....

Thank you for your help....I feel so much comfort!!!!!

Dr. Norman Brown :

This is probably what your dream is really conveying to you: That your grandmother's OWN excessive mothering need (to make up for your mother's inadequacy--that could also stay inadequate because her mom was TAKING OVER HER JOB) was not something she could let go of because she didn't get to figure that out before her aneurism cut off her mind. So the way the higher-source message of the dream is given to you is through the necessity for YOU to pull away when SHE can't let go. This is a way in which you have to OUTGROW your grandmother's undiscovered limitation. This is a prime example also for the truth that SHE CAN'T GUIDE YOU IN EVERYTHING because of her own limitations.

Customer:

That is very true!!!!! I just want her to know That I am ok...That I can take care of my self now....I want her to rest in peace....It is time for her to let go

Dr. Norman Brown :

YOU can put HER to rest by telling HER the words her lips never got to form, that YOU can watch out for your boys without her, that she CAN be comfortable because YOU are the mom now! And your message in the dream is also that YOU don't have to follow her overage habit of assuming neither children nor grandchildren nor greatgrandchildren can be ok unless she is watching over them! I think you could write her a letter to say this, and you could read it to her in your mind as you go to sleep in your next few nights, and you will see a response from her that makes your grieving experience take a giant step forward.

Customer:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience: 40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds