Psychotherapist
Psychotherapist, Consultant
Experience:  Over 28 years as a LCSW. I have much experience in dream interpretation.
16602351

I dream that I am in in Cape Town, where i spent most of my

I dream that I am in in Cape Town, where i spent most of my childhood, at a very large building which later in the dream appears to be a hotel/spa, I can clearly see my old motorbike from when I was 16-18 years old standing outside the room. In the room, reception like, I am speaking to a man and his wife who appear to be the owners/managers of this place I am at, the man gives me large long packets of biltong and dry wors, on the table are 3 very old knives, much like daggers or the shape of a cross. These are old and rusted, these are given to me also. I am at this place to repair an electrical wire on a electrical switchgear that runs the place. The owner manager takes me around the building and we enter the room where the repair is to be done, he switches off the main switches and i ask what he is doing and he says switching off the power. I then connect the wire and he switches th equipment back on and says everything is now working. At some point his wife gives me an ostrich skin canvas with the picture of a bird, possibly a guinie fowl, painted on it and the number 60 in the top right corner. I then go to a table in this same room and pick up a wind breaker and fleecy pullover, which are mine, plus two motor cycle helmets and a big bunch of keys which I put in my pocket. Be fore picking up the pullover I notice that there is a small knife, cross shaped, silver in colour and bright sitting on top of my pullover, I cannot recall if this was given to me or not. The owner and I then walk out the room through a different door and immediately on my left is what looks like a large spa bath with a woman helping a person into it. This person seemed like a child but I am not 100% sure. as we walked past this bath I though it strange that a bathroom would have a passage through it but then on continuing we walked past a number of baths/jacuzzis. We then go through another door into a room which looks like a small casino which I remark to the owner, I see a roulette table and a few slot machines and a small bar counter, then we are out of this room and the owner then turns into another passage and I continue through a door into an office/admin type area where a woman leads me back to reception. During this whole time I am aware of my late mothers presence but do not recall speaking to her or her speaking to me. I remember however that she catches a plane an leaves but I don't know here too. Once back in reception I take the keys out of my pocket and discover that I have 3 sets, my own, the owners which I give back to him and my mothers. I then wonder how I am going to send her keys to her as she has gone on a plane and I don't know where. The owner then comments about the 60 on the ostrich skin as though it was pricey but I remind him that he gave me biltong and wors which is worth more than what his wife gave me. Next I am outside on the pavement and I am repacking my bag into which I put my pullover and wind breaker then the knives and as I want to put the biltong and wors in a small dog , like a dachshund cross, appears and is sniffing away at the items. I playfully tap him on his nose with the goods to stop him from taking them. I also notice behind me is a bag that is normally used to transport expensive test equipment, but the bag is empty and I know I didn't bring any test equipment. Lastly an ex colleague/manager phones me and we make arrangements to meet in Cape Town for a meeting after which the dream ends. a few days prior to this dream I dreamt that I took a lotto ticket in to be checked and the woman that checked it told me I have won the lotto which was a huge amount (R30 something million) she was ecstatic and wanting her manager to take photos and the like saying it is not everyday that someone wins the lotto. This was a short dream. I must say that it is rare for me to even remember a dream and to remember these two in such detail is extremely strange.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Psychotherapist replied 3 years ago.

Psychotherapist :

May I ask you some questions about feelings and meanings in your dream in real life. The more details the more we the find the most personal meain

Customer:

yes of course, I deliberately didn't give any personnel interpretations or circumstances so that the interpretation could be free from being tainted with "my view". Fire away and ask any questions you like and I will answer them.

Psychotherapist :

Thank you for answering. I like to get the meanings and feelings of symbols both in the dream and in real life so that the interpretation can be as personal to you as possible

Psychotherapist :

When you were in cape town at the hotel/spa how did you feel in the dream? Do you have any specific memories of this place in real life?

Psychotherapist :

In the dream how did you feel/think when you saw your old motorcycle? Do you have any specific feelings about it in real life

Psychotherapist :

In the dream did you recognize the couple? Did you have any thoughts/feelings or perceptions about them? Did they remind you of anyone in real life

Customer:

I felt absolutely fine in my dream, I dreamt that I was there to repair an electrical fault.

Customer:

I don't have any real life memories of the actual hotel/spa but I did grow up in Cape Town (not born there) and I spread my late moms ashes (she passed away 3 years ago almost to the day) on the top of Table Mountain, also my father ( passed 29 year) and older brothers ( passed 23 years) ashes are also in Cape Town. I no longer live in Cape Town.

Customer:

As far as the motor cycle goes, I recognised it and had a "warm" feeling towards it, although I don't recall riding it either to or from the place. I did pick up two helmets and observed to the owner that one of them was not mine.

Customer:

I am and always have been a motor cycle fan and have wanted to purchase a nice one for a while now but finances don't permit at present.

Customer:

I don't recognise the couple at all and although they were very friendly and gave me gifts, they don't remind me of any one in particular.

Customer:

Hope this helps.

Psychotherapist :

Thanks I had to leave the computer I wanted to finish going through the dream and asking questions. I had to look up bittong When you are at the table and see the food and the knives like daggers do you have a feeling or thought s in the dream. What do you think about being there and fixing electrical wire? Is this something you would do in real life.

Psychotherapist :

What do you think/ feel about asking the man in the dream what he was doing shutting off the wire? In real life is there anyone who looks out for you I say this because I am assuming he was shutting off the wire so you would not get hurt while fixing it?

Psychotherapist :

It seems the couple is happy with your wok. Any feeling in the dream about the ostrich skin canvas with the bird on it as well as the fleece pull over with the number 60 on it? In real life would you like these things? In real life does the number 60 mean anything to you. They both seem caring he shuts off the electricity and she gives you gifts.Interesting about the two motorcycle helmets? Any body that you wish you could ride with? In the dream any thoughts or feelings about the keys? In real life are you responsible for anything that reguires keys?.

Psychotherapist :

Interesting about the small knife it seems that the eating knives were also in a shape of a cross any feelings in the dream and or any association to these types of knives in real life?

Psychotherapist :

There seems to be a theme of giving and helping in the dream. Any feeling about the woman helping the child? in the dream? Also in real life from what you have written so far you have lost 3 family members. Is there anyone you can turn to?

Psychotherapist :

It is interesting that you feel your mothers presence. The women in the dream seem giving? Was your mother a nuturing or cargiving mother? Also peoples feelings often get triggered on aniversaries of loved ones deaths bdays ect

Psychotherapist :

The owner and your mother and you seem to be connected by the keys? Any feeling about this in the dream? In real life were you and your mother connected and did she have anyone eles who would have keys to her personal belongings

Psychotherapist :

The dream seems to have the theme of giving to you up until this point when the male owner questions the ostrich skin. You then try to stop the dog from taking your things and your bag is empty? I wondered was there any problem with your mother's things and inheritense after she died.Let me know what you think feel free to answer questions make any comments the more info the better. Thanks Karen

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a South African dried meat much like jerky. I was standing at the reception when I saw and was given the knives/daggers but they were old and used. I had no thioughts in the dream about the knifes other than what they were. My thoughts know are that they could be the 3 people close to me who have passed and who I often think about and could be "cutting" the cord in someway?

Customer:

I have no problem fixing the wire, it is something I have and still do often. I have my own company which is battling with the economy a bit and so stress is high. I don't know why i would ask that question as I would in real live have shut it off myself, maybe he was trying to help me "repair/fix" a problem and yes to prevenyt me being hurt.

Customer:

The number 60 on the ostrich skin canvas was the price and this was alluded to by the man. The fleece and wind breaker are two of my favourite items of clothing that I wear now when it is cold/windy/raining.

Customer:

About the two helmets, many years ago my mother used to ride with me on my motorcycle and I used to drop her off at her friends house. Otherwise I have no idea why there would be two, except that I fealt my mothers presence and that fact that she left on a plane thereby implying that she may have come there with me on the motorcycle? In so far as anyone I wish I could ride with would be my dad who was also a great motorcycle fan and from whom I got my passion for them.

Customer:

As far as the keys go my own keys are not a problem as I have them with me all the time, the owners keys may have been given to me or left on the table by the owner after we entered the room to fix the wire and which i gave back to him, so this could have been to open the room etc. My mothers keys are baffling as in the dream I couldn't figure out how I was going to get the keys to her as she had left on a plane and I didn't know where she was going. I think that she left the keys as she didn't need them were she was going. In her will I was the main benificiary and she said at the time that she made it like that as I would know what to do with the little she left behind.

Customer:

The small knife which was new and shiny silver I associated, (in the same way as I associated the older knives with my dad, mom and brother,) with my baby who was stillborn. I am not sure in my own mind that I have ever really accepted any of this and have consigned their passing to the deepest part of my brain as it still hurts even after all these years. However it may also mean "new beginnings", I don't know. I am interested in looking at items like this when an opportunity arises but know, I don't have any real interst in knives as such in real life.

Customer:

I agree with the theme you seem to pick up, it seems to me to be a place where people can either be cared for or where they can relax from daily stress etc. My mother suffered from cancer and was in a nursing home for the last few months of her life, but this was in Durban where I live and not in Cape Town. However she lived in Cape Town up until she moved to me about 3 years before she passed. My mother and I were extremely close in real life and she told many people that I was her "special/favourite son". No I don't think she trusted anyone else enough for them to have her keys.

Customer:

Their are two bags, my own in which i pack my fleece and jacket, then the knives, and then when I wwant to pack the biltong in the curious dog is there. The other bag is behind me and is a specialised carry bag for electronic test equipment which I don't remember using or having during the dream.

Customer:

feel free to ask any questions you think may help. Richard

Psychotherapist :

To me I think this is a very important dream for you. You have had so many losses in your life which are incredibly painful.Sometimes we work though or deal with our emotions through our dreams.

Psychotherapist :

Perhaps since recently it was the anniversary of your mothers death it may have started bringing up feeling for you. Often when we start feeling our emotions about one loss it triggers feelings from other losses in our lives

Psychotherapist :

The dream takes u to your childhood home which is a clue that this may have something to do with your parents. Symbolically the knives come in the dream which you associate to your mother, father, and older brother.The couple in the dream seems to take care of you perhaps the way parents would. The man makes sure you are safe. The woman gives you a gift. with the number 60 on it.

Psychotherapist :

There is the symbolism of the motorcycle with 2 helmets which you and your mother rode together.also the fleece windbraker is comfortable and protects you from uncomfortable weather. Something a mother might do. Comforting he son and protecting him from discomfort.

Psychotherapist :

I think the keys perhaps represent the little she left behind. I wonder if you were not sure what to do with her belongings? It is also interesting when you walk past the child and into other rooms. I wonder before you get to the casino if you have some monetary thoughs of the still born child.

Psychotherapist :

Also I am thinking that when you pack your bag the test equipment is so much less valuable than the things that are so important parts of those who are dear to you. The comfort of the pullover, the knives representing each person you have lost You make sure that the dog does not take the goods that are important to you.

Customer:

In the dream the casino comes as a surprise, I had no thoughts in the dream of playing the games or anything, just walked right past. I had no monetary thoughts at all in this dream.

Psychotherapist :

The other theme in both the first and dream and the second dream is gambling.First in the initial dream you walk though a casino, In the second dream you win the lotto it is very special? Could it be a gamble if there will be a new beginning or do you have any thoughts about gambling. I think you have gone through so much loss perhaps its time for a win. Let me know what you think if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask or comment. If you are happy with the answer I would greatly appreciate your clicking on the accept. Thanks Karen

Customer:

Thanks Karen,

Customer:

I do think it's time for a win, thanks for your help in interpreting the dream. I don't "remember" dreams often and so this is a very important one as it is one of only about 4/5 dreams I can recall in my entire life of 51 years. I will click the accept button, no problem and thanks again. Richard

Psychotherapist, Consultant
Experience: Over 28 years as a LCSW. I have much experience in dream interpretation.