Wisdom Of Dreams
Wisdom Of Dreams, Dream Interpreter
Experience:  3+ years experience; member IASD Dream Study Org
57610393

Why do I often have dreams where people do not look the same

Why do I often have dreams where people do not look the same as they do in real life? Basically, in many different types of dreams that I've had often people will not look the same as they do in real life but yet I know who they are. For example, one of the last dreams that I recall I was dreaming about a famous singer. In my dream I knew who the person was but he looked different than he does in real life. I can't remember if in any of these types of dreams if I understand in the dream that the person does not really look like that though. I really think it is strange that often in my dreams this is the case. Does this mean anything? I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but is there anything I can do to maybe help me have dreams where people don't look different than they do in real life? It's actually quite annoying because I would love to have dreams like I think the majority of people do where people look the same as they do in real life.

Hello, I am happy to help with your question. You've made a great observation about the people in your dreams. I often have to explain the opposite to clients. Dreams are symbolic in nature and so logic doesn't often enter in to the dream storyline or to the characters. The people in your dreams are picture metaphors. The essence of the person is who they are meant to be- as you have figured out already.

It seems that your mind creates more symbolic images than most. For example, when people dream about someone from work that looks exactly like the person, they get confused that it means the exact thing they dreamt will come true. This is rarely, if ever, the case. The person in their dream is a stand-in for some quality they associate with that person. Your mind, simply skips the part about picking a person with whom you can identify a characteristic and goes straight to a symbolic image that represents the characteristic itself! I hope this is making sense.

As far as how you can alter your dreams to include more actual people that you recognize, I'm not sure about the best way to do that. I can tell you that with practice it may be possible to influence your dreams. You can do this by choosing a dream that you have had recently and imagining a different person (or the like-ness of the person whom the dream was about) over and over as you are falling asleep. It may take a few days of practicing this dream storyline before it becomes an actual dream that you have. Another idea is simply to set an intention to have the people in your dreams look like themselves. To do this, as you are falling asleep, say over and over "I will dream about George Clooney (or whomever) tonight and it will look like him...etc". This also may take several nights of practice before the idea shows up in your dreams.

Please let me know if you have questions or details you wish to discuss further. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thank you for answering my question. Do you happen to know why I might create more symbolic images than most? Is this a bad thing besides the fact that I would rather people in my dream look like the really look?
I don't think it is bad at all. No two people dream alike- although we do have themes that are the same. For example, some people dream without any color while others' dreams are always in color. It just suggests that you might be more creative than most. Or it could be that you see things from a different perspective or have a different way of looking at things. I think your desire to have the people in your dreams be "normal" is an expression of a broader desire to see things for what they really are in your waking life. Dreams mirror life so the way you describe your dreams can be used to describe your life as well.