Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

My male Schnauzer refuses to walk on a leash. He acts like

Customer Question

my male Schnauzer refuses to walk on a leash. He acts like he is terrified
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: NO there is no wound
JA: What is the schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: Max age 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He normally will not come to me when I call him. If we stop at a familiar place to let him go potty. He will jump out of the car, go about 5 ft. do his business and turns around and jumps back in the car.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How long have you had the dog?

How long has he been doing this?

Has anything changed in his life just before this started?

How often are you training in obedience and what method?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the dog since he was 13 weeks old. He has done this ever since we have had him. No, nothing has changed in his life.We try to do obedience at least 2 to 3 times a week. We normally do verbal commands and reward them with a treat..
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. When a dog begins to act frightened in a spot it is best to go back to basics with commands to make sure the dog has them down 100% Thus during a fear time you can redirect them with commands by giving them continuously.

If he acts terrified then something happened to communicate fear while on a leash. Dogs got through fear imprints several times in their life up to about the age of 4 years. It is up to the owner to recognize it immediately and work through it at that time. If not handled correctly the dog will always hold on to that fear.

Generally the first imprint is between neonatal and 9 weeks, a time that you may not even have had interaction with the dog so this puts owners at a disadvantage.

I would ask then what do you do when the dog acts like this? Is it everywhere the dog goes or just in one specific place?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
everywhere he goes. He just sits like a stump and has terror in his eyes even though I'm speaking gently to him. He is really more attached to myself than my husband , but if I take a few steps he backs up and jerks on the leach.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am wondering if there is something I can do to ease his fear such as Essential Oils
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like he has fear issues to begin with if he is 'attached' to you. This means you may be going too fast or you are putting him in what he feels are vulnerable situations that he cannot mentally handle. Not all dogs are friendly and outgoing to the point where they love to go all places and see all people.

They are all born with personalities just as humans are.

I would suggest starting out slower, taking him only for walks in front of the house and then gradually going further.

You can try over the counter melatonin as this is used for anxieties. I will direct you to a site for dosing.

Sometimes a DAP collar helps, but in most cases it is being willing and able to start off slower and on a continuum, not putting him in new places where you know he may fail at.

I might suggest behavior adjustment training and I will direct you to a link that goes over this. If he is rushed he may continue to backslide.

Training -Behavior adjustment http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf

Oils are tricky because many are toxic to the dog if they lick them so I would stay away from that.

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/melatonin-melatonex