Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

I, I have a 3yr old Yorkie/mix that I bought at an animal

Customer Question

I
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I have a 3yr old Yorkie/mix that I bought at an animal sheltaer is April 1962.. She had been a stray for awhile and weighed 4.4 lbs hoster people got her. She was 6.2 lbs when I bought her and she is now at full wt of 7. Ful of energey . Problem is she is very dependent abd becomes very ansxious and shakes whenever I leave her. Developeb henorraghic gastritis when I boarded her for 4 days at vets. Wants to be on my lap every minute
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jumps on people and wants them to hold . Anything I can do to lessen her ansxiety? She barks constantly when I am on the telephone and stops when I hang up the phone. Any suggestions? Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rilee?
Customer: She responds to "want to go for a ride" by running to the car-loves to ride in car.
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She will let me know when she needs to go out by barking and going to the door
Loves to play fetch-is very careful not to bite when playing-
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

It sounds to me like Rilee may be dealing with some separation anxiety.

Some dogs develop destructive behaviors such as breaking through windows, destroying crates, chewing holes in walls and destroying sofas in their frantic efforts to cope with feelings of abandonment. Some other dogs may go on hunger strikes or even begin using the bathroom in the house to cope with their feeling of being alone
Dogs with serious separation anxiety issues may need medication as well as behavior modification help from a professional dog behaviorist. Look for a board-certified veterniary behavorist (ACVB) or certified applied animal behaviorist. As for references from your vet. You need solid guidance from someone properly trained to assist you and your dog.
You might also want to consider using a product made specifically for dogs with anxiety. A couple of these things would be:
Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.
Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.
When I'm working with an anxiety dog, I generally start with the collar, and then add in the melatonin if I don't see a change within a week or so.
If Rilee seems to get along with other dogs, it might not be a bad idea to get her a companion. If the anxiety stems from being alone in the house, and she only acts like this when left alone, then getting her a friend to hang out with during the day could be the trick. Of course, I know that not everyone is in the market for a second dog, so consulting the behaviorist may be the only option to getting this under control before she destroys your house or hurts herself.

I hope this helps.