Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a Shepherd/boxer mix which will bark at squirrels to

Customer Question

I have a Shepherd/boxer mix which will bark at squirrels to play, but I also have a neighbor that calls him quietly so that the dog barks because he is afraid of men. The neighbors wife is now calling the animal control person every day. The animal control person has been to the house many times. I have told the neighbor not to call him, put up a privates fence up, did a muzzle nothing makes them happy. They are the only ones that don't have a dog in the development that we live. Now the animal control wants me to put a bark collar on him. My question is how can the dog let me or the other neighbors that someone or something is in the area or on the property if he has that collar on? Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: This dog was rescued and he does have added. Was on medication for anxiety but nothing helps. This dog is 3yrs old and doesn't bark all day just when he sees the squirrels or that certain neighbor. Now when the animal control person comes near the fence the dog will bark and run the length of the fence because he is afraid of that person.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Unfortunately, the dog won't be able to unless he is barking through the shocks of the collar and based on the info provided I doubt your neighbors are interested in having a dog on high alert for any suspicious activity in the neighborhood. Some people are quite sensitive to the noise a dog makes outdoors and while it may not be annoying to you, the neighbors obviously find it disturbing and the animal control officer agrees. My recommendation to you is to begin keeping your companion inside unless you can monitor his activity outdoors. You can call him back inside if he begins to bark, thus eliminating the need for a bark collar, and you can ensure that the neighbors and others in the neighborhood aren't scaring him to a point where he thinks he needs to bark.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800