Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I spent several weeks in the hospital after. A car accident.

Customer Question

I spent several weeks in the hospital after. A car accident. My daughter took my 11 month old puppy in and she has a big family. I'm afraid now that he is home he will not be as bonded with me.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He is reluctant to spend time with me or he avoids me. I have an x-fix on my arm and required many surgeries. He will alone me to pet him, but he is skittish. He is a poodle. We had a good bond before I went into the hospital.
JA: Where does the poodle seem to hurt?
Customer: The poodle isn't hurt I am.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the poodle?
Customer: No, mama that's it.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name Dr. Bruce. Thank you for your question about your little one. What is his name? How long have you been back at home with him since returning from the hospital?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His name is Chesara. He has been home with me for about four days. He is aware of my injury but keeps his distance from all the metal.

Thank you for that information. The good news here is that I would feel that his current behavior is temporary. He is adjusting to the newness of the situation and I would hold very high hopes that with time and persistence on your part that he'll be back to the same confident and loving puppy that you had before your trip to the hospital. He is getting used to seeing you in a different manner with the x-fix on your arm and once he adjusts to this, he'll be his normal bonded self. You just need to keep giving him the attention and love that he needs. Continue to interact with him and give him the play and exercise he needs and in a few more days, I'm sure you'll be wondering why you were concerned.