Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a Westie which absolutely hates and barks

Customer Question

I have a Westie which absolutely hates and barks uncontrollably when she hears or see a skateboard. I always chastise her and make her come inside my unit. Hope you can give me some suggestions.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 2year old west highland female terrier (dog)
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the terrier?
Customer: She barks uncontrollably when she hears or sees a skateboard. I live in an apartment block on the 3rd floor. I've tried several things with her eg.letting her sniff skateboard when we are out on a walk. Also I always bring her inside when she starts barking.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No. this started when she was a pup. She has constant check ups with local vet.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: No she is a very happy, contented dog otherwise.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

This is a problem with many dogs. It is a prey drive which is also encouraged by the noise of the skateboard.

You may be able to get her under your voice control from a window, but you would need to teach her the command first in a non distracting area such as inside the home then gradually work on that command outside in more distracting areas then you have to be there with her when a skateboard comes so that you can work on it during the actual motion. You may have to ask a skateboarder to help you so if they are neighborhood kids they may be willing to help you out.

The command you want to teach is Leave it. Once this command is learn it can be used for anything you want her to leave alone.

Another suggestion if you just want to stop the barking is to place a barker breaker outside which will go off when she starts to bark. Many dogs do not like the sound and eventually stop barking after one or two barks. The only problem is. is that the neighbors may be able to hear it go off as well. It emits a high pitched sound for a few seconds then turns off.

Other items to try would be a bark collar that squirts water when the dog barks. There are also some that squirt citronella. Either is one that the dog is not going to like happening and eventually it learns not to bark.

All of these items can be found on Amazon or in a pet store. If you go with the barker breaker it will need to be housed so it does not get wet, so it can be put under a house eve, in a window, or in a bird house outside.

teaching leave it can be found here

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

I 'll see if I can find the items on Amazon for you

Barker breaker https://www.amazon.com/DOGTEK-Sonic-Control-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B00ESMUWS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480300208&sr=8-1&keywords=barker+breaker

Here's a collar that gives a vibration and is good for small dogs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09W9DC?psc=1

Here's a citronella collar. Most dogs do not like the scent of citrus and that is why this one works. https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Anti-Bark-Spray-Collar-Citronella/dp/B000H3VAQ8/ref=pd_sim_199_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J0KJSKEF1G7X3NRGHM71

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. Have a wonderful Holiday Season:)

Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.