Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

Adopted Max 25lb. 2-3 lab mix from Animal Society. Enrolled

Customer Question

Adopted Max 25lb. 2-3 lab mix from Animal Society. Enrolled in training but before we could attend he bit a contractor- I signed a fearful dog waiver since they said he did not need home with children. He is very sweet and when he gets grumpy goes in his crate. I made the decision to return him for re-adoption and they will only take him to be euthansed tomorrow morning. I just cannot do it. Sent for information on Lowcountry Pet training that is 1 on 1 sessions (the Petsmart class does not want him attending). Help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: Russ and Laurie Crager are honored to bring Off Leash K9 Training to the LowCountry of South Carolina.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about Russ?
Customer: He does not like men much and I live in a condo so I cannot have a biting dog- the HOA has already warned me since he bit their contractor.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

How long have you had Max?

Do you know anything about his life before you?

Is he neutered?

How much exercise is he getting daily?

How much time can you devote to training?

What is your zip code?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One month. Told he was given up due to financial reasons and was fearful around children (I just learned he has bitten people before when I called to take him back- they did not say that when I got hime). Yes he was neutered right before I got him. We walk at least a mile a day. I can do whatever time it takes to not have to kill him - I am single and work from my home 8-5. Zip code- 29492.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to call. Too upset.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is extremely affectionate and playful just wants to please- I think the guy he bit just startled him.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Okay great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
I definitely think that he needs an in-person trainer that can work with you and Max to help get him under control. I actually have a friend who lives in Charleston and has a dog with some aggression issues that she needed to work on. She used Purely Positive training.

You can find the website here: http://purelypositive.com/about/

I would absolutely call and see if she's available to help you with Max's training. She may even offer a 'boot camp' type training where the dog stays with her...but you'll need to ask about that for sure. If she doesn't, ask her if there's someone she recommends for that.

Since you live in a condo and Max already has one strike against him, I'd definitely give her a call and see if she can help, rather than trying to train him yourself...at least in the beginning.

I Hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa