Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a 9 year old Yorkie that we have have since he was 8

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Yorkie that we have have since he was 8 months old and he was a rescue and I believe he was abused. I had him for about a year and would be sweet as pie and then all of a sound totally flip out. My husband wouldn't put up with it, so a friend who had 5 yorkies said he would take him and see how he did and maybe he just needed a firmer hand and the pack mentality. He had been with him for 7 years and just recently he was getting worse with him and his family and we decided to try something different so I brought home and he had been an angel for 5 days and then today he flipped out again, and growls and snarls and bites feet and his eyes are glassy and he looks at me like he doesn't even know who I am. I called my vet a few days ago and we started him on Prozac but I understand it takes a while to get into the system. I was wondering if you had every run into this before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about my?
Customer: I have tried dog trainers before and he bite one and scared him away, he never even wanted to be paid after that. Everyone keeps telling me he need to be put down but I don't want to do that if I don't have to
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Thanks for all that great information. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What obedience training has he had?

Has he had any bloodwork done recently?

Were his liver values normal?

Has his thyroid been tested?

Is he allowed on the furniture?

Can you describe a few instances where he has tried to attack you?