Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

It seems my dog has decided to become very protective of a

Customer Question

Hi it seems my dog has decided to become very protective of a ball, never was a ball lover! Protecting her area and womt let our other dog go anywhere near her or the vasininty of our home. She is being very unusual. We went over night and she hasnt been the same since we got back!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Keyara is 5 and a Siberiran Husky, she is very temperamental, Koda is 11 moths old, i dont know what happened whilst we were away over night. He cant even walk past her without her getting into him.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keyara?
Customer: At one ponit I thought she ws pregnant as she went off her food, and nesting in holes with her ball as if it was a baby. Could it be a phantom pregnancy I wondered. She seems to be running around fine. She sits on her bed as if no one can go near it!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. As I was reading this my first question was going to be ,"is she is heat?" as it sounded like a dog that is going through that.

If she is not spayed then she could be going through a false pregnancy. If she is spayed then there is another reason for her behavior. This can be possession aggression which can show when a younger dog in the home starts to reach maturity or starts to assert itself.

In either case, you want to keep them separate for now because to bring them together at this point when she wants to fight with him is actually teaching or encouraging her behavior.

If it is due to false pregnancy then keep them separate until she works through it.

If it is a personality trait coming out then training daily and putting her on the learn to earn program will help. Be sure to use positive obedience training and know that you are not training to show her a command, as I am sure she already knows them, but you are training to put both dogs on an even playing field while raising your status.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.