Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a rescue standard poodle that is hyper! She has no

Customer Question

I have a rescue standard poodle that is hyper! She has no manners and I'm trying to train her but she doesn't calm down. When I let her lay with me she is non stop moving and doesn't just lay there. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the standard poodle. What is the standard poodle's name and age?
Customer: Felicia and 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Felicia?
Customer: She has neurological damage
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also when we are sitting she jumps all over us and simply doesn't have manners. I got her spayed in sept thinking that would help by it did nothing. She chases the cats and just won't stop
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What neurological damage does she have?

How long have you owned her?

How much does she weigh?

What obedience training has she had?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has neurological damage to her back left leg. I've owned her since her since February 2016. She weighs 50 lbs and she has not had training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Standard poodles are very strong willed dogs as a breed and often dominant as well. They need structure, schedules and training. She is 4 already and no one has trained her on what is acceptable behavior. She needs a lot of exercise and training to get her under control.

For a dog like her, she needs fast paced walks to tire her out. At least as much as her leg allows her. In most even a 3 legged dog can manage a fast paced walk with their owner. My rotties of similar size walk at least 3-4 miles a day. If she isn't walking now, you will have to work up to long walks but don't just let her sniff and casually stroll along. Keep her moving forward as best you can. Pick a half way point where you can stop and let her sniff and defecate if she needs to. That will help cut down on some of the hyperactivity.

That energy is likely grabbing your attention and all dogs love attention especially if you are gone during the day and she gets to sleep when you are gone. Thus when you get home, she is ready to go, go, go.

Now I have a great site that helps with obedience training. It helps owners train their own dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

The NILF program helps the dog see you as the ultimate boss and is more likely to listen when you give her a command. Now jumping can be its own problem though obedience training helps with that as well since you can command a sit to stop the jump. I recommend hot dog slivers for treats when training.

Until your dog is obedience trained, there is a method I've used for over 15 years and is very effective and not cruel for a dog that jumps on people. It cures even the most stubborn large dog. However, everyone in the family will have to be consistent until he learns it is not acceptable.

What you will be doing is putting one knee up to waist level any time you see the dog start to jump up. Put it up before the dog is close to you, so he sees it. YOU DO NOT KNEE THE DOG. Instead you put your knee up long before he reaches you and he jumps onto your knee generally hitting himself in the chest as a result. Since your knee is up and you aren't moving when it happens, he does not interpret it as something you are doing. At the same time you need to say in a low toned firm voice, NO JUMP. He'll learn that when he jumps, he ends up hitting his chest and will associate NO JUMP with that feeling and learn to not jump on people. He may still dance around on his hind legs, but they do usually learn not to touch the person. Again, I want to stress that the knee should not be used to hit the dog, but instead let the dog run into the knee.

Your dog may try and come at you from the side, but just shift position until he learns that he can't jump. You should also start teaching him that he will not get petted or get treats or affection or even talked to unless he is calm and he works for them by sitting or laying down.

They also make anti-jump harnesses that work as well. See one here;

https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Pet-Training-Downtown-Supply/dp/B00I5X59OQ

That can help with the jumping as well while she gets trained. It is going to take all of these things together to correct her behavioral issues but she is young enough to have this corrected.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.