Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years
53976849

I have 2 dogs a shh-tzu(japanese),and shh-tzu/poodle.my

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs a shh-tzu(japanese),and shh-tzu/poodle.my desperate question is they both dig holoes(no big thing),but I have a private fence.they dig holes up against the fence,I"m afraid of them getting out,any ideas of stopping them?I already tried chili powder,curry,black pepper,cayenne red pepper,not working!!!!!need help,any Ideas to stop them from digging along fence?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog training?
Customer: I tried to catch them in the act,as long as I'm watching they won't do it,but if I have to go inside for anything they will do it especially at night and behind shed and other obstacles.at my wits end.
JA: Is there anything else the dog trainer should be aware of about the dog training?
Customer: they are smart and sneaky
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to assist you both today!

Please give me a few moments to type a detailed response to your question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what reply?still looking for answer to my dilemma!!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is this what I get for an answer 28.00 dollars more,what a jip!!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry I bother you!5.00 then 28.00!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
BYE!

I am so incredibly sorry, I have been trying this entire time to get in touch with you but the site has been down. Please accept my apologies. This is the response I had typed for you...

I do understand how frustrating this can be and will give you a variety of things to try and hopefully we can get this under control to minimize risk of injury with escape.

Ensure your dogs are getting a lot of exercise, including leash walks 30+ minutes and mental stimulation with puzzle toys. Your dog's energy must be burned off in one way or another so why not channel it into something positive? Channel your dogs' energy into something else including exercise to ensure they are too tired to dig.
- Puzzle toys are available online or your local pet store but you can also use Kong toys when you have to leave them in the backyard. You can freeze peanut butter inside them, it takes hours to lick it out.
- I know you have likely tried this but when you are not able to monitor them consider a pen in the yard

Provide a negative experience while digging in this area
-Blow up some balloons and bury them in the area your dogs likes to dig. When they strikes a balloon, the noise of it popping startles your dog. In some cases the negative association this produces is enough to stop your dog from digging in the future. And sort of funny to watch.
- Put some of their feces in the holes they are creating so they associate this with the area and not positive fun experiences there
- If needed barbless wire under the fencing if you are able very taught so if they do dig they cannot get under and be at risk

Lastly, try to find an area of the yard that it would be alright to dig. Either soft dirt or bring some sand in so that you can encourage digging in an area that is safe and allowed. I have had to do this with my little dog that loves digging and this alternative has been very helpful. I also bring her to a children's park where there is dirt/ sand and tell her to dig there and she goes crazy! It releases that need/ urge in an area that doesn't damage my yard but also encourage it here

Back to the digging allowed in an area of the yard: Section off an area with the best soil. Bury toys below the surface, but a few sticking out of the ground so he figures it out. It's like a TREASURE hunt for them. Most dogs will figue out that it is better to dig in the designated area because they are rewarded by you, they don't get yelled at anymore, and they find TREASURE :)

I hope this information makes sense and gives you some ideas for your little ones. Please let me know how else I can assist you all today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am so very sorry you had a negative experience with Justanswer. Hopefully the information I provided above will offer you options to try to stop the behavior.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you all, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman