Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have an adopted blue heeler/lab mix, a female. A very

Customer Question

I have an adopted blue heeler/lab mix, a female. A very loyal and docile dog which is active outdoors. However, she is very mistrusting of other people. She will somewhat warm up to females, but with men she is VERY mistrusting. She will take treats from men and let herself be pet about the head, but if the men walk away or stand up, she willnip or bite at the lower legs. We think she was abused by her original owner, as she lays down, rolls over, tucks tail upright between her rear legs and splays open her hind quarters. One of our friends made too quick a movement with his right leg while sitting down and thre dog began to quiver. We even tried taking the dog to this friends home several times to visit and get to know him, but she reacted similar to the way she does at home. Any ideas??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The dog trainer will know how to help the dog training. What is the dog training's name and age?
Customer: The name is ***** ***** she 21/2 years old. She was in the adption center for almost a year.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the dog trainer should know about Cashen?
Customer: She understands basic commands and is a very loyal and loving do. the pound advised us she my be over-protective of her owners, but her current nipping behavior toward men could be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 25 days ago.

hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.

I don't want to promise you results as sometime a fearful dog will never get over that fear. However there are things you can work on to help with the fear and aggression and controlling her behavior. It does appear to be fear based since she doesn't confront the person until they are not facing her. In addition, usually people are leaving when they get up and move away so she nips at them and then leave so she thinks she is causing them to leave thus it reinforces the behavior.

She needs obedience training. This serves multiple purposes. The first is that she gains more self confidence with obedience training. As she learns commands and what people expect when they say those commands she becomes less fearful of the people and more confident. In addition, obedience allows you to have her sit and stay until your guests are seated before allowing her to come into the same room where you will command her to sit and stay once again. Since she is trained she will sit and not be a threat to your guests.

They can also help her gain confidence around visitors including men it you allow them to also give her simple commands and then reward her with paper thin hot dog slices. Dogs usually work for these types of treats. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Bat training may also help as well.

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html
http://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html

Keep a leash on her at least at the beginning to give a short tug to get her attention off the visitors and on you where it belongs. If she growls or attempts to lunge in order to nip, give the tug and a firm low toned "NO". I think you will find obedience training and the other techniques will help her become less fearful of strangers and lessen any liability as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 23 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 21 days ago.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see if you found my answer helpful.