Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Recently my new 1.5 yr old catahula we have had with no

Customer Question

recently my new 1.5 yr old catahula we have had with no problems the past 2 months started barking and being hard to calm in the middle of the night. No changes have occurred and she sleeps in a downstairs room. She has been healthy and playful during the day. Once she settled down after getting a snack Please advise. Is it healthy to feed her late before bedding down ? Mild sleep medicine?Thank you for advice. (I am a pediatrician) Dr.P
JA: OK. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She was a adoption from a couple that felt she required a lot of energy and our 3 children have been doing well with that and she gets tons of love.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Petra
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Do you know if she has any obedience training?

How many walks is she getting each day?

Is she allowed to investigate on her walks?

What pace would you say her walks are?

Has she been on antibiotics recently?

What kind of snack is she getting?

How often is she fed?

When is her last meal?

When she barks you are going to her, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Jane, thank you for your response to my question. I was under the impression that Just Answer would provide a response by a licensed veterinarian. I am a licensed pediatrician and was interested in information that may be related to drug therapy besides behavioral methods. I frequently get curbside requests from my veterinarian down the street on pediatric issues and I contacted him after getting your response and he provided several suggestions. I will try them and if no satisfactory response I will contact you. if I do have a good response I will let you know the outcome. Thank you for contacting me but I expected Just Answer to provide a veterinarian as indicated on their website. I respect your training and expertise but I believe that Just Answer needs to be more professional and accurate in advertising their services.
Sincerely
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please pass this information and your comments on to Just Answer.
Thank you

I understand your concern if Just Answer told you a Vet would answer. Most vets have limited training and experience with behavioral issues. Many just tend to prescribe medications which does not really solve the behavioral issue. I'm glad he had some suggestions and definitely feel free to respond on here if his suggestions do not do the trick. Be sure to open this question or you may get an expert with limited experience. I do have 20 years of experience working with dogs on behavioral issues.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Since I requested a veterinarian and needed help I contacted one and and we are working on the situation.

You are welcome.