Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

We recently lost one of our dogs, had him for 12 yrs. Left

Customer Question

We recently lost one of our dogs, had him for 12 yrs. Left behind is our little Shiz Shu, she is 14 yrs. She was doing ok, could tell she missed the other dog. All of sudden yesterday after a bad dream through the night, she appeared very depressed. My husband and I held her all day. This morning she did bark to get down from the bed, which is more normal for her. I then proceeded to take out for potty which she did do. The day before we litterly took her out and set her down to potty. She wouldn't walk at all. Some improvement today. She is walking a little around the house but still laying on soft things and very down. Her eyes appear to be wide open but a strange look on her face. She also is sticking her legs straight out when picked up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The dog trainer will know how to help the dog training. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else the dog trainer should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: She refuses to eat or drink water. I did hand feed her some chicken last night just to see if she would eat something.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs do grieve for lost companions but they also pick up on the feelings of their human companions. The fact that she seemed to be doing ok and suddenly started displaying these symptoms worries me.

She is an elderly dog and when a dog is not eating or drinking, she needs to be seen. It may be due to a disc issue which the breed is prone to that is causing her pain when she lowers her head to eat or drink. It might also be organ failure leading to the loss of appetite. It does sound as if she may be experiencing seizures as well and possibly going into shock as well. Seizures can occur during organ failure. They can also occur when a dog stops eating due to low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Put a drop of karo or pancake syrup on her gums to help bring her sugar levels up.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/hypoglycemia.htm

I urge you to have her seen as soon as possible. You can read up on organ failure here.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_hepatic_failure_acute

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/kidneys-bladder-urinary-system/acute-renal-kidney-failure-in-dogs

She is likely going to need rehydration if she hasn't been drinking . You can check for dehydration by lifting the skin between the shoulder blades. If it does not snap back down into place fairly quickly then she is dehydrated and need vet care immediately. Tacky gums is another sign of dehydration.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.