Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We just adopted a 3 yr old greyhound and he marks

Customer Question

we just adopted a 3 yr old greyhound and he marks everything. He is our 6th grey but of the 3 previous boys,none were markers and all house trained in 2-3 days. I bought a band to wrap him in while he is in the house. We don,t want this to be a long term problem and I'm sure he wants to be off the band wrap. any help would be appreciated.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog training?
Customer: I take him out every couple of hours but he is still marking when he comes inside.
JA: Where does the dog training seem to hurt?
Customer: I.m not sure what you mean by hurt?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: the dogs name is Petey
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Petey?
Customer: No. he seems like a normal greyhound other than the marking. he will hold his poop until we go out we currently have a 9yr olk girl and a 6yr old boy. Petey is our 3rd. we got him 3 days ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you know if he was surrendered to rescue from a family or if he is a retired racer? both?
2) When was he neutered?
3) Was he slowly integrated into the house or given free access immediately?
4) How does he get along with the other greyhounds?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he was a racer and neutered in july where he spent 11 days with a foster. he got immediate access to our home and does great with his siblings.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would prefer just a tip on helping him not mark inside the house. thanks

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for your advise. I look forward to reading your e-mail.

As time goes on and the hormones leave his body, this will be easier to tackle. Dogs can keep testosterone in their body up to 6 months following a neuter, so it may be close to January before he's fully benefitting from the neuter. Be prepared to use the belly band longer term is needed.

Because he is marking in the home, the first thing to do is to get him established in one room where he doesn't mark before moving on to full access in the home. If you are kennel training him, make the room where his kennel is located the room for him to adjust to first. Once this happens, move on to an additional room for a few weeks, then add another room, etc. Most often when we give a dog who has been intact his whole life and recently neutered full access to a new place they are going to want to immediately begin establishing their ownership of all the items they can reach. The more boundary you set for him the better you'll find his behavior will be. Do not be afraid to make him work for access to other parts of your home. I, personally, would keep using the belly band in the single room he's allowed access to and monitor for hiking behavior before removing it and giving him the opportunity to mark. Once he has stopped hiking in the single room, remove the band and see how he does. At very least, make sure to minimize your efforts in needing to clean up marking accidents. As well, be sure to use an enzymatic cleaner meant to clean up urine so that future dogs in your home don't find the accident spots interesting and re-mark the area.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800