Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a mini eskimo yorkie pin (yorkimo pin) and shes a

I have a mini eskimo yorkie pin (yorkimo pin) and shes a year and a half old and I have been trying to train her to be able to remain calm when I have to leave her in the car for a few minutes such as when I go into a store etc. it is never for long periods of time however leaving her alone at all she freaks out and is so loud people tend to stare as if shes being abused or something. please help as to what I can do to train her to calm down and be ok when she is left alone.specifically in the car.thank you

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How is she when you are driving?

What does she do when you leave her at home?

Do you have a plastic travel crate for her?

Is it just barking?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is great when I am driving or anytime I am with her. She doesn't just bark when I leave though she literally screams and cries so loud it draws so much attention. I don't have a traveling crate that I keep her in because I usually just carry her either under my arm or I have a dog carrying purse but she can't always go inside places with me and unbearable the sound she makes even if it's only for maybe 5 min. I have tried treats and rewarding her when she's calm and I don't try to make it a big deal when I leave and the only thing I have been able to find online is that I need to get another dog and hope that will help her with the seoeration anxiety however I'm just not ready for another dog so I'm trying to find a way without having to do that.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

It does sound like separation anxiety. Given the severity of her response, I would do training at home first and then work on the problem away from home. I would start with a hard plastic sided crate for her. Put her in it at home and leave the room. If she is calm and doesn't react, go to her immediately and reward her with a hot dog treat. If she objects try moving closer but don't let her out until she stops complaining. When she does, give her a treat and let her out. Repeat gradually moving further away from her until you are out of sight and she isn't carrying on.

I suggest a crate inside so you can transfer the crate that she knows and her behavior in that crate to the car. Remember to give her tiny hot dog treats when she is calm in the crate. Next transfer the crate to the car and put her in the crate. Don't move the car but take yourself a little away from the car. Start again by only walking a short distance away. Perhaps even leaving the door open but the crate in the door. Go back and reward the desired calm behavior. Eventually shut the door and walk away. You will be doing this gradually so she learns that even though you leave her in the crate, you come back and reward her with calm praise and tasty treats. . You will gradually work up to her being out of your sight. Now if she does carry on, you want to ignore her until she settles down which is why you do it at your home where you can let your neighbors know that you are working on training her not to cry like that. When she settles down, the the praise and treats and even letting her out. Repeat as necessary until she is no longer reacting to you being out of her sight when you are at home and she is in the car. Then you will want to move to another location away from home but still isolated for the next phase of training where you will repeat the training exercise.

Soon you should be able to take her anywhere and leave her for short periods of time without her behavior being a problem. Now a dap collar might be a help as well. They use pheromones to calm a dog and are proven to work for separation anxiety. Your vet might also suggest something like xanax as well but you do need your vet to prescribe that. Medications can be helpful when starting training but th dog needs to come off them eventually. Dap collars can be bought online, in pet stores and at your vet office usually.

I never recommend another dog to solve a separation anxiety issue. You may end up with two dogs displaying the same behavior.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.