PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a 12 year old female black lab, who is retired from

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old female black lab, who is retired from leader dog for the blind, so she's not an aggressive dog. I just got a 12 week old yellow lab puppy. At first Lizzie had a blast playing with Bubba and he was submissive to her, however, now she wants nothing to do with him. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lizzie is my female and Bubba is the 12 week old male
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lizzie?
Customer: Lizzie is diabetic, we have only had her 2 years and we lost her "buddy" another 12 year old male lab 3 months ago, so she became the only dog for 3 months
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What is Lizzie doing to suggest she's wanting nothing to do with Bubba?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She's hiding or when she comes out she allows him to bite her and mount her without fighting back!

It may be time to separate Bubba and Lizzie. As much as she may enjoy the prospect of having a playmate, Bubba's energy level is much higher than her own and he's likely worn her out. I would separate them for the next 2 days, giving Lizzie ample time to sleep and recover from their play time so far. Come Wednesday, allow them back together again and see if the same behaviors are observed by Lizzie. If they are, I would schedule an exam for her and talk to your vet about her behavior. If she is not already on a glucosamine supplement for her hips, now would be a good time to start so she can keep up with Bubba in the future. Canine-safe NSAIDs may also help if she has developed arthritis over the years and is not on anything yet. The playtime with Bubba may well have caused some tenderness in her aging body.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** keep them separated and get some Glucosamine for Lizzie!

Good luck!