Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Our 1 1/2 year old chihuahua-terrier mix is getting up in

Customer Question

Our 1 1/2 year old chihuahua-terrier mix is getting up in the middle of the night and pooping in our closet. We got another dog about 6 weeks ago and they get along fine. Yes we take her out about 8-9pm at night. Should I try putting her in a crate at night? she has her own bed that is in our bed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the terrier. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Rosie. She is not lethargic. I know she has had some jealousy issues with the other dog. That seems to be better. She is a very smart little dog.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: She is in good health. gets plenty of exercise. has several dog friends besides Bella our other dog. We got her last January. She was a rescue dog that had very little hair. She is healthy with more hair because I got her on a good diet. Her stool this morning looks normal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is the other dog house trained?

Was she house trained before this?

When is her last meal?

Is the new dog a male or older than her?

When you take her out, is she defecating?

How long are you out for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other dog is house trained. Rosie was not house trained when we got her last January. Her last meal was 5PM. The new dog is 8 year old female. She usually defecates in the morning when we go to the park at 9am. We do let her out when we get up at 8am. She is out for the first time for about 10 minutes depending on the weather and one of us is standing outside when she first goes out.

I'm sorry for the delay. I had an appointment and just returned.

The most common cause for a dog to suddenly break house training is parasites or a protozoan infection. Parasite are often contracted when a new dog is added to a household. Let me give you some information on parasites and protozoan infections. You can read about these here:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Worms and protozoan infection make it difficult for a dog to control their bowels and thus Rosie might find it difficult to hold her bowels if that is the case. You might take a stool sample into the vet to have it check. Be sure they look for protozoan infections.

What might help until you have the results back or can retrain her would be to either move her big meal to an earlier time or a later time so she does not have to eliminate in the middle of the night. What many people do is split the evening meal into two and give one at 5pm and another at bedtime. This keeps the dog's stomach full, which allows them to sleep better, avoids excess bile which might wake them and hopefully delays the need to defecate until morning.

I am a firm believer in crate training so definitely crate her but if it is due to parasites, she may soil her bed. I would not let the new dog sleep on the bed if she is not there as well. It would upset her place in the household.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The new dog Bella had a full exam including a stool exam. We had no health history so she got the full meal deal. About 2 weeks after we got her, she was spayed and some teeth pulled. She was not well cared for. Her nails were so long they curled. Her fur was so matted, she looked like she had dredlocks plus she was full of fleas. My daughter-in-law did her nails. did a flea treatment and clipped her fur. She then bathed her. She did not give me the dog for several days after she rescued her. She was 8 years old and used for breeding. I took her to our vet right away. We got her shots, was examined by the vet including stool spec. She was found to be in good shape. We had to wait a couple of weeks to do her surgeries because her tits were still leaking a little milk. She is finally able to be a dog and do what dogs do. She seems very happy playing, eating sleeping etc. Rosie the younger dog has had a stool spec in april which was normal. I can't remember if she has had one since. She is eating, playing, sleeping, pooping etc. My daughter-in-law worked a vet tech for 4- or 5 years. I am a retired RN and between the 2 of us we keep pretty close tabs on the dogs. I almost always check their stools. Bella, the new dog, sleeps in her own bed on the floor next to our bed. Rosie sleeps in her bed between us. We have a king sized bed. We are going to try a couple of things which include the soft-sided crate. I'll let you know if either plan works. I think jealousy is the under lying problem with Rosie.

If your daughter in law was a vet tech then she should knw that a dog needs to be dewormed twice as the dewormers do not kill the eggs, so you deworm a second time two weeks later to kill any hatching worms before they can mature into adults and lay more eggs. So if Rosie was around Bella or her fecal matter before a clear parasite check, then she may have contracted worms. Some vets don't check for coccidia or giardia either. Since Rosies last fecal check was 6 months ago, you should probably get that done.

In the meantime, definitely try changing feeding times and even retraining her the way you did originally.

Hi again,

Just a quick followup to see how things are going with Rosie?