Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

He is suddenly terrified of going into the kitchen. He looks

Customer Question

He is suddenly terrified of going into the kitchen. He looks around and goes back into the livingroom. If I carry him into the kitchen his gets stiff and shakes all while looking around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Robbie and he's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Robbie?
Customer: He has seizures
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Generally when dogs suddenly become scared of a room in the house something in there either hurt them or frightened them while in there.

For example, if they slipped on the floor and hurt themselves then they will remember that, or , if they were in there and something suddenly frightened them , then they are going to remember that. If the dog has seizures then it is possible both happened. Many of these occurrences happen when the owner is not in the room.

What would have to be done is some counter conditioning to make the kitchen seem safe and a pleasant place to be again.

If you feed him in the kitchen it might be a good idea to put his food just inside the kitchen door also so that he does not have to go in all the way, while you wok on counter conditioning.

Here is a good video to get an idea on how to counter condition