Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

Of 2 years old will deliberately come into the house to

Customer Question

of 2 years old will deliberately come into the house to poop. Sh will pooop on my space on the couch, my bed or on the carpet. Sh has a doggie door and sometime two doors to the outside are wide open. She will pee on the grass, but recently she does not like it for pooping. I am at my wits end. Please help. I have had 2 trainers when she was younger.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name?
Customer: I have contacted heer. Se says that Chesiey is marking her territory
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about the dog training?
Customer: such as?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs generally mark their territory by urinating. The first thing you need to do is clean everywhere she has defecated thoroughly with a high quality ENZYMATIC pet odor remover. Since even fecal matter has moisture, that moisture gets down into the fibers of chairs, couches, carpeting and even pores in flooring. Cleaning the surface does not remove the protein in the fecal matter that has seeped down into the fibers. You need to let any cleanser soak in as well to reach the protein which causes the odor. Most cleaners do not destroy the protein which is why you need to use an enzymatic cleaner and a good high quality one.

If a dog smells an area that has remnants of the smell of old fecal matter or urine, it will draw them back to the same spot to go in the future. Regular cleaners fool our noses, but not a dogs, so cleaning that will help prevent her being drawn back.

The second thing that has to be done is to retrain her. The fastes way is for you to do crate training. You can use traditional crate training that is outlines on the following site:

An alternative way of crate training her back to defecating outside would be to keep the open door of the crate against the doggie door so she has to go outside to eliminate or eliminate in the crate which most dogs won't eliminate where they have to sit and lay down. Crating isn't permanent just until she is defecating outside again.

It is recommended that you actually go out with your dog when they eliminate. Small dogs can be leary of defecating outside when alone. If tiny, there are some birds that will swoop down and attack them or even attempt to carry them off. Catbirds often swoop down on dogs and cats and owls and other predators can be an issue with smaller dogs. As a result, some small dogs do feel more comfortable being in that crouched over position if their owner is with them.

Creating a small area at the doggie door that contains the dog to that area will accomplish the same purpose as a crate. It is better just to take her out several times a day. When she defecates outside, immediately reward her with a tiny hotdog sliver as a reward. It has to be immediate and not after she finishes. She needs to know that the treat is for the defecating. She will be inclined to defecate outside once she makes the connection. However, if you are not with her to reward the behavior, the behavior is not positively reinforced, so definitely try to be there if at all possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 day ago.

Hi again,

Just checking to see if you did not receive my reply since it doesn't appear to have been viewed by you. Hopefully you will view it at this time and leave me some feedback.