Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Can a fear biting dog be a safe dog to live with. He has

Customer Question

Can a fear biting dog be a safe dog to live with. He has bite one person but has also showed aggression and placed their arms in his mouth on two occasions without biting. Both incidents the individuals were trying to grab his leash. My husband says there is no hope and he has to go but I believe he can be helped or at least controlled to help him. He is 8 months old Siberian husky
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Loki neutered?
2) Has he been evaluated by a behaviorist?
3) Has he had any formal training?
4) What happens when he bites? Is it a single nip or more progressive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has been neutered. We took him to a4 week training class teaching him the basics and he did well. The first bite was unfortunately a child which posed no threat to him he got him in the ear. The last two were where the people were trying to take hold of his leash. I witnessed one in which he growled very loud and then took her arm in his mouth. It was the instructor and she immediately grabbed him by the leash and corrected him. She told us he is a fear biter. He released immediately and the was no broken skin on either person. She told us that he knew he did wrong but unfortunately we can't determine what is triggering him. We got him very young as the mother wanted nothing to do with them at 5 weeks and the owners wanted to deliver the puppies to their owners but as far as I know he was never abused or anything g like that. I do have an older husky that they play rough with each other but we are stopping that behavior as we speak and have been doing so for about 2 weeks

It would be wise to have him evaluated by a behaviorist and not just a trainer, someone who can help you determine his triggers and how to address them. If this cannot be determined: No, it's not safe to live with him. And, technically, he's already a liability having bitten two people. Your husband's concerns are certainly valid in that he is a very young dog and already exhibiting behavior which is likely to progress, especially if it is not dealt with promptly and effectively (which may or may not be possible, some dogs simply cannot be helped).

A consideration that should be made is whether or not you're able to keep him separated from people for the next 10-12 years of life, if his behavior cannot be addressed effectively. If he attacks or severely injures someone, that will leave both you and your husband open to be sued for damages especially having known the propensity of him to bite people.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion?