Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.

We have recently adopted a dog from the animal control

Customer Question

We have recently adopted a dog from the animal control officer, he is supposedly around 11 or 12 years old, and he also has his right eye removed. We have been told that he was hit by a car thus the loss of his eye. After about a month, we have notice a Dr Jekell and Hide personality. He is wonderful and loving dog 99% of the time but there are moments when he easily becomes combative and aggressive, mostly in the evening hours, we think that it might have something to do with his vision? His good eye has cataracts. He also has not been newtered. We also feel that he may have been abused sometime in his life.
QUESTION: Could newtering a dog reduce testosteron or his aggressive behavior? We love him and if we cannot resolve his issues, as we are in our late 70's, we will be force to return him to the pound. We feel is this happens, he probably will be put down since he was up for adoption for two months and no one showed any signs of adopting him.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 14 days ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long have you had him?

When he becomes aggressive, does he seem confused?

Is he on any sort of schedule?

Is he crate trained?

Has he had a recent vet check?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
1. six weeks
2. Slightly
3. We have three other dogs and there really is not set schedule, we generally do things together.
4. No he is not crated.
5. Yes, he has been checked, received all his shots and appears to be in good health.
Expert:  Lisa replied 14 days ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It sounds to me like your dog may be dealing with some cognitive dysfunction.

Some older dogs get a little anxious at night for reasons we really don't understand. At our clinic we refer to it as 'sundowning', where the animal is fine all day, but then becomes restless and agitated at night.

Some vets refer to it as geriatric cognitive dysfunction, and you can find more information here:

Something you could consider would be talking to your vet about a light sedative for your pup in the evenings. One that we use is called Clomicalm and really seems to work well. Of course, you'll have to talk to your vet to make sure that this is a good option to use in conjunction with the medications or supplements he is already on.

Another option would be something to help with the anxiety that doesn't have to be ingested (eaten), so it wouldn't interfere with the other medications. I love using the DAP collar:

These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's can also find them online at places like and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I've used the DAP collar in my own dogs and with some of the dogs I've rehabilitated and I really, really like the results. Just keep in mind that the collar only lasts for 30 days, so you'll have to replace it monthly if it works for you.

I hope this helps.