Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

My dog gets on my bed if I say no he doesn't listen he'll

Customer Question

My dog gets on my bed if I say no he doesn't listen he'll wait till I'm sleep and get on my bed. He also jumps on me when I get home and won't stop when asked. He also gets over anxious when I try to take off his leash because he's so ready to come in the house. Help
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

what have you tried so far?

What does he do if you shut the bedroom door?

What obedience training has he had so far?

Is Rugby neutered?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 16 days ago.

I was hoping to get a response back before answering but I do want you to have an answer. The easiest solution is to keep him out of the bedroom. If he scratches the door, put up a dog gate or crate him in the bedroom. That is the simplest solution.

Now the jumping can be cured with obedience training. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

Until your dog is obedience trained, there is a method I've used for over 15 years and is very effective and not cruel for a dog that jumps on people. It cures even the most stubborn large dog. However, everyone in the family will have to be consistent until he learns it is not acceptable.

What you will be doing is putting one knee up to waist level any time you see the dog start to jump up. Put it up before the dog is close to you, so he sees it. YOU DO NOT KNEE THE DOG. Instead you put your knee up long before he reaches you and he jumps onto your knee generally hitting himself in the chest as a result. Since your knee is up and you aren't moving when it happens, he does not interpret it as something you are doing. At the same time you need to say in a low toned firm voice, NO JUMP. He'll learn that when he jumps, he ends up hitting his chest and will associate NO JUMP with that feeling and learn to not jump on people. He may still dance around on his hind legs, but they do usually learn not to touch the person. Again, I want to stress that the knee should not be used to hit the dog, but instead let the dog run into the knee.

Your dog may try and come at you from the side, but just shift position until he learns that he can't jump. You should also start teaching him that he will not get petted or get treats or affection or even talked to unless he is calm and he works for them by sitting or laying down.

They also make no jump harnesses. They stop a dog from being able to jump and can be helpful at stopping the behavior while he is in training. See one here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 days ago.

Just a followup to see if you found my suggestions helpful?