Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs

I have always let my 60 lb. dog sleep in my bed with me. but

Customer Question

I have always let my 60 lb. dog sleep in my bed with me. but he sheds incessantly and I cough and sneeze all night. how can I train him to sleep on the floor? he is 7 years old.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Ollie shedding more now than he has in the past?
2) Are there any other surfaces that he sleeps on aside from the bed, such as a dog bed in the living room, for example?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he seems to shed more now. and the only other places he sleeps are a) old recliner in living room where he can look out the window b) guest room bed which also has a window that looks out on street

The reason I ask is because there are many conditions that a dog can acquire that might cause additional shedding. Treating an underlying medical condition may reduce the shedding back to normal and allow him to stay in bed with you at night. A few examples would be hypothyroidism, atopy, hyperadrenocorticism, etc. If he has not had a full panel of blood work run since the heavy shedding began, I would recommend doing this first.

If he has another place that you don't mind him sleeping, such as the recliner, often giving an "off" command to get him to vacate the bed will result in him finding a new place to sleep. You can also bring him directly to the other bed or the recliner and ask him to lay there. Each time that he comes back to the bed, give him the "off" command and do not allow him to climb onto or stay on your bed. With time, he will realize that he's no longer allowed on the bed and choose a different place to rest. If needed, close the bedroom door or place him in an area where he cannot come to your bed (such as closing the door to the guest bedroom or placing him in a kennel, if he is kennel trained). You can also employ treats as he begins to choose other places to sleep or when he does not follow you to bed. If you want him in a certain area (such as the chair), have him climb up, lay down and then praise him with a treat. It will take a few days to a few weeks to implement these changes, but be sure to stick to your plan or training will fail. The better you stick to the routine the better your chances will be of prompt changes to where he will go to sleep.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: