Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

We Recently got a 3 year old husky from the pound. she is

Customer Question

Hi we Recently got a 3 year old husky from the pound. she is very placid and friendly with us inside but just runs away if we let her out. She scaled a 2.4m enclosure when left alone the dug under a fence to get out. She is obviously intelligent and resourceful!! Any ideas to help us keep her around?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It sounds like she needs work on her recall so if she gets away from you , she will come back when called. Clicker training is a good positive way to teach this. Also daily training in commands will help to build a bond between you so that she wants to be by your side.

When it comes to scaling or digging under fences you can put a hot wire at both the bottom and top of the fence. This will give her a slight shock but if she touches it once chances are she will not go near it again and it beats getting hit by a car from escaping from the yard.

You can find these at a farm store and you can install it yourself. I have used one for years and once the dog gets the shock I usually turn the fence off as the wiring serves as a visual reminder not to go near the fence. You can invest in surveyor flags to put near the wire as a visual so you can warn her also not to go near the wire.

Just be sure that once you set it up, you are not doing anything outside such as raking leaves or mowing the grass because she will associate that with the shock , you want her to associate going near the fence with the shock.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Owen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tilly. How is everything going?

Sally G.