Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

My dog hates other dogs. My daughter lives next door to me

Customer Question

My dog hates other dogs. My daughter lives next door to me and also has a dog. I can't let my dog outside at the same time my daughter lets her dog out because they want to fight even though there is a fence there. I have a border collie and her dog ,I think is part mountain cur. I need help with this problem. I feel like I'm so limited, and hope you can help me with my problem.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What training in obedience has this dog had if any that you know of?

Are her dogs reacting in kind to your dog?

Are you forcing a submit or does she lay down voluntarily?

There are several things you have to do to help her with this issue. One is to start with obedience training with her.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Training helps her learn that you are the boss and as the boss, it is your job to protect her and the territory (yard). In addition, it allows you to have more control over her actions and obviously you won't allow her to continue barking and acting aggressive through the fence which is commonly known as boundary aggression.

Boundary aggression is quite common. This is because the dog sees a person or dog right next to their area which triggers their defensive mode. The fastest way to combat this is with an invisible fence system. They have both shock and citronella spray models. You place the wire along the fence line and it creates a dog free buffer zone of about 3 feet or so. Your dog will start to see the smaller area as her territory and since her dogs won't be right next to the new territory and the need to defend her territory should be lessened. Of course, not being right in the other dogs face will help as well. You do combine this with the obedience training and positive reinforcement as well.

You can use a long lead on her when you let her out. If she rushes the fence, you can give her a short tug and firm low toned NO to indicate it is not acceptable. In addition, if she doesn't rush the fence, give her calm praise and a thin sliver of hot dog. She'll make the connection between her behavior and the hot dog sliver treat pretty quickly. You might even have your daughter keep her dogs on the opposite side of the yard to hopefully get your dog not to react to their presence so she can succeed and earn the treat. The more successes she has the faster she will learn.

There is also the BAT method that can be used for dog aggression. Read about this here:

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you.com/Behavior_Adjustment_Training.html
http://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html

It isn't a quick fix though the instance fence is pretty quick, but ultimately you want her to not be reactive to the other dogs and training is necessary for that to occur.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Myrel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?