Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

I have no fence. I live in a mobile home. I take my dog out

Customer Question

I have no fence. I live in a mobile home . I take my dog out to tinkle sometimes she does and sometimes no. she won`t. she poops in the house. she jumps all over people at the door and runs like a bat out of hell if ilet go of the leash. she comes backafter about 10 minutes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like she just needs some freshening up on her obedience skills such as sit, wait , and recall. IF you can get helpers to come to the door and they can pet her when she is sitting and leave or ignore her when she is not , then she should learn that sitting nicely gets her attention which usually takes care of the jumping.

As for running away, her recall is not strong enough so if you have been saying "Fido Come " then she knows she really does not have to listen so you want to start fresh with a different phrase such as "Fido Here"

The trick is that you have to make yourself more interesting to her to get a firm recall. I would do some clicker training inside the home and on leash to firm up her manners. and I would train her several times a day for five to ten minutes as your schedule allows becaue the more you can train the more consistent a leader she will see you as.

The clicker costs about 3 dollars in a pet store. Invest in a treat bag as well. When you need her to really listen to you the reward should be something worth working for. So inside the home you may use cheerios for training, unless the situation calls for more focus , then you want to up the ante to soft dog treats such as liver treats. The more focus you require of her the better the reward needs to be. So outside for a come recall you would use hot dog slivers or chicken slivers. When you train recall on a leash use a normal lead first then graduate to a 20 foot cotton training leash so should something else catch her interest and she feels she is far enough away not t listen to you, you can reel her back in with the long cotton lead.

Always praise her for coming, even if she has gotten loose and come back 10 minutes later because if we scold the dog they don't want to return to us.

I am going to direct you to links with print out and video to get you started on clicker training. Do a little bit at a time and try not to skip a step. The more good behavior you can catch her in the more good behavior will be displayed and the old behaviors should fade out.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos

clicker maintaining focus