Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years

I've adopted s two yr old abondoned Chinese Crested mix who

Customer Question

I've adopted s two yr old abondoned Chinese Crested mix who only likes me & one other. We were doing pretty well with potty trading until I had to start changing my routine. Sometimes I'm here 24 hours. Sometimes I'm gone 5-6 hours. Now she's wetting & pooping in odd places. I hate to kennel her but this can't go on. What to do? I can't do "routine" schedule!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What are you cleaning up the accidents with?

What is the longest amount of time that you are gone?

Is there any times when you are definitely home every day?

Is she eliminating in the same area all the time or different places?

what have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cleaning product called AWESOME , gone no more than 6 hrs. (Previous owner moved & left her & otherdog alone in house, they were in bad shape) home 24 hrs 2-3 days a week the days vary for now as I am needed. Tried to take her with me to work, ladies in & out (7) busy phones, she growls at them & quivers. For a few weeks she hit the pee pads regularly. Then when my schedule started to change she goes different places . Even broke through the barrier I placed to the room with the great $ rug & peed on it. I take her for 2 walks daily now ( didn't before, we just hung out in the yard. She's 8 lbs & it's hot in New Orleans! Still that didn't work
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She arrive at shelter pregnant they took her pups & her boyfriend . I got her 2 months after that when the sign on her kennel said to " put a towel over her if you want to handle her" she follows me everywhere & loves my guy friend...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Easier to talk to me?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just call
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P.s. I can be patient I want your best considered reply . Thanks!!

I actually love Awesome cleaning solution and use it around my house. However, for urine and fecal messes you need an enzymatic pet odor remover. The enzymes break down the proteins in the elimination and thus allow it to be totally removed. If you don't use enzymatic based cleaners. the odor is masked so humans don't smell it but a dog's nose will pick it up and be drawn back to the area to eliminate again. So part of the problem is that there is probably a faint odor remaining where she eliminated before and that is drawing her back to eliminate again.

Initially when you had her, she would be eager to please and listen fairly well. As time goes by and she becomes used to your place, she may feel she can make some of the decisions and one of those decisions might be where she eliminates. So you have to continue to be the boss of the house. This can be hard if the dog is home a lot more than you and she hasn't had training from you.

So the first thing I'd do is clean anywhere she has eliminated with a good enzymatic cleanser like natures miracle. The next thing you should do is start obedience training with her to establish you as the ultimate boss. This will also cut down on her feeling like she needs to protect herself or you. As the boss that is your job. If you took her into the office, then you would need to have her a bed in an out of the way corner of your office where she doesn't have to interact with people and you can be between her and them. This will reinforce you as the protector. Of course, you have to keep people away from her while she is there. Just say she is in training. That usually works well.

Now I am not a fan of pee pads. I have a male chihuahua who was trained to pads before we had him. It took almost a year to stop him from lifting his leg on every plastic bag or trash bag he encountered. A much better solution is a sod patch.

You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. It is a little more trouble initially but keeps the dog eliminating on grass (the preferred substrate). Most dogs I encounter will naturally choose to eliminate on the grass piece if it is available. You can also create a small area with the sod patch and just enough room to lay down for her so she learns to use it.

Often when house training we tend to get angry when we find urine or feces. The dog doesn't know why you are angry. They do not know that you want the dog not to eliminate there. they just think that you don't want to find it, so the next time they hide it better. Another thing is to reward her when she eliminates on the pad, patch or outside. Use a tasty treat like hot dog slivers. Most dogs love them and eagerly work for them. So a few well timed treats may help her make the connection to where you want her to eliminate. It has to be given the minute she starts to go.

I know you don't want to crate her but an adult dog can hold their bowels and bladder 6 hours even tiny dogs. Crate training is the most effective house training method. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.

Another thing that can help is to track her "schedule". Mark down when you feed and water and when she eliminates. A pattern will develop and you can use that information to time when she should need to be outside to eliminate and you can also move the feeding time to one that allows you to be home when she need to eliminate as well.

I want to give you a site on obedience training. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

Obedience training also helps them gain self confidence as well. Usually it is a combination of methods that ends up working to house train a dog, so definitely combine your methods to get her house trained the fastest such as sod patch when you are gone for a short period of time, and crate for longer periods and the bell for when you are home.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi again,

Just a quick followup to see if you were able to start implementing any of my suggestions? Did you find them helpful?