Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My dog can be very dog aggressive at some times and go after

Customer Question

my dog can be very dog aggressive at some times and go after the other two dogs we have in our house and occasionally other dogs when in "crowds" (like 3 other people or dogs). We have absolutely no clue what his trigger is except for right before it happens he gets a look on his face, but we have a behaviorist and trainer coming to help but i think for the time being we should get him a muzzle so at least i would feel more comfortable with taking him on walks and bringing him around when our neighbors hang outside with their dogs. i want to keep socializing him because i read that if you don't keep socializing aggressive dogs and isolate them it can make things worse. Do you have any ideas/ muzzle ideas also.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. I would definitely not put him in social situations right now. the best thing you can do right now is work with the behavioralist and trainer. I have a similar situation with a foster right now. I have been working with a trainer and seen a huge turn around. Some times it takes a fresh perspective to help sort out what the triggers are and how to stop them. As far as a muzzling him. If you feel that he is going to injure anyone in the household, then that is a good temporary solution. I would get a basket muzzle. Feel free to ask additonal questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please rate my answer. Take Care

Hi Catherine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?