Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dogs aggressive behavior is getting worse. Often out of

Customer Question

My dogs aggressive behavior is getting worse. Often out of no where he responds to the situation with teeth bared, biting and biting again. Once he reaches this level we retreat because he will continue the attack without remorse. We are retired so he has never spent anytime alone. Recently he was playing with our granddaughter (3 1/2). They played for hours. She again reached for the toy and he bite her hand, hard, bleeding puncture wounds on both sides. We are having great difficulty finding groomers because he is unpredictable and several have been bit by him. He is a Haveneese, fixed and 6 hrs old. We are desperate for help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know this is not an easy situation.

I think your next step is going to have to involve a veterinary behaviorist and probably some type of medicating. I don't think a typical dog trainer is going to have the expertise to deal with a dog that is this dangerous to be around. There are some good trainers out there, but I think you need a veterinary behaviorist.

To find a behaviorist, you can go to this site and search for the nearest one. There are not a large number in the country, so it may involve some driving to get to one. They work with difficult dogs like this every day, though, so they'll be able to help him.

I would also advise trying a medication like Clomicalm or Trazodone or Prozac to get that in his system. These are all good behavior modification meds that can help take the edge off and help prevent some of this aggression.

Here are some other write ups on aggression in dogs with some more info:

I hope you're able to get the help you need. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?