Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

We have a 2 year old beagle x cavalier who has been house

Customer Question

We have a 2 year old beagle x cavalier who has been house trained. She's just started popping inside the house again in the morning despite having a dog door. What would cause this & what do we do about it?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Causes would be a health problem to where she cannot hold it or has no control over it or something outside has frightened or hurt her.

In the spring/summer months I find that many dogs have had an encounter with a bee and so any buzzing in the area is enough to deter them from venturing too far out. Buzzing from flies will even have an effect after a run in with a bee. I go through this on a yearly basis with my own dog.

Health wise in this size dog I have seen back issues in which there is little control or something hurts to go out the door, such as going down stairs, or sometimes it is the door itself.

If Ruby is only having accidents of feces both health and fear come into play because when a dog is having a bowel movement they are required to stay in one position longer which puts them in a vulnerable position if it is a fear issue. You may notice some dogs will actually walk and drop stool, and look around them so they feel less vulnerable.

This will also happen if a dog is having pain when they are in that position.