Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.

Our standard poodle has been a great dog and trained

Customer Question

Our standard poodle has been a great dog and trained fast.He is now 10 years old .Has started peeing on floor and pooping when we leave him,even for an hour. We are with him mostly...We dont both leave alot. If my husband goes outside to his shop Buddy whines.Is it separation anxiety?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

So Buddy only acts like this when he's alone in the house?

Is he crate trained?

Does he ever destroy things when you're not home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no...Never has destroyed anything...This is our only problem
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No ..This is the only problem we have ever had
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I agree that you're likely on to something thinking that Buddy is dealing with some separation anxiety.

Some dogs develop destructive behaviors such as breaking through windows, destroying crates, chewing holes in walls and destroying sofas in their frantic efforts to cope with feelings of abandonment. Some other dogs may go on hunger strikes or even begin using the bathroom in the house to cope with their feeling of being alone
Dogs with serious separation anxiety issues may need medication as well as behavior modification help from a professional dog behaviorist. Look for a board-certified veterniary behavorist (ACVB) or certified applied animal behaviorist. As for references from your vet. You need solid guidance from someone properly trained to assist you and your dog.
You might also want to consider using a product made specifically for dogs with anxiety. A couple of these things would be:
Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.
Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's can also find them online at places like and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.
When I'm working with an anxiety dog, I generally start with the collar, and then add in the melatonin if I don't see a change within a week or so.
If Buddy seems to get along with other dogs, it might not be a bad idea to get him a companion. If the anxiety stems from being alone in the house, and he only acts like this when left alone, then getting him a friend to hang out with during the day could be the trick. Of course, I know that not everyone is in the market for a second dog, so consulting the behaviorist may be the only option to getting this under control before he destroys your house or hurts himself.

I hope this helps.