Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

My dog (almost 2 year old, female, shepherd) has bitten 3

Customer Question

My dog (almost 2 year old, female, white shepherd) has bitten 3 people (2 dog trainers, 1 dog boarding/daycare owner, all were female). The bites occurred with no warning, in the exact same place (back of my Jeep Wrangler, thru the open back window) and in almost the same exact circumstance (the person reached in to pet or touch the dog near the head - all friendly moves). Each time there was no warning and it was over as quickly as it happened. Because the individuals were professionals, each handled the situation the same and did not react so they did not reward the behavior or punish it. The dog snapped, bite and released... What is happening here? Is the dog protecting her space or something else? What is the proper response to the behavior in the moment? How do I address it so that it does not happen again?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long have you had her?

Has she ever been to obedience classes?

Does she ever act aggressively when she's not in the Jeep?

Why were the people reaching into the car?

Is she protective of the Jeep when you're not in it?

Does she ever act aggressive at home or in your back yard?

He she acts out, how do you handle it?