Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My dog is very afraid she was a breeder for five years and

Customer Question

my dog is very afraid she was a breeder for five years and started to get friendly but seems to be getting more anxious we have been very gentle with her but she runs outside and will come in but no social contact
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed of dog is this? Age?

What meds is she on?

If you put her food dish next to you will she eat from it?

How do treat her dinner, meaning is a bowl just put on the floor and left there for her to eat whenever?

Have you done any type of training in obedience with her?

When did she seem to be getting friendly (what point in months since you got her) and what point did it seem to get worse?

Did anything change during those points such as someone new in the home, a new pet, outside activities?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is a bisconfrise 51/2 years. fluoxetine 10 mil once a day.yes it there for her whenever. as long as the dish isn't too close .no raining . we kept her in her caig at night .but was told it wasent good so we put it away. it does seen like she got worse after that. nothing else changed
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Breeder dogs are very tricky and go through many phases of trust and distrust. Sometime as simple as direct eye contact from the owner is seen as a challenge to any dog but one a breeder dog does not usually want to take on. They have to be treated as we would a shy of fearful dog which means a whole different approach to gain their trust and it is key to be very consistent as consistency helps a dog to trust you. If an owner becomes inconsistent in their behaviors, expectations and movements this frightens a breeder dog and creates an uncertain situation.

I do disagree with having a crate. Some dogs take to this for safety like they would a den and it is important for her to have that safety to go to as she goes through different phases in her life.

Six months is not a long time for any rescue dog to become fully relaxed in a new home, and a breeder dog takes sometimes over a year of watching the owners daily routine before they are comfortable.

Your routine and the outside routines change from season to season as well. There are more outside activities in the warmer months then there are in the colder months , so the whole environment has to be taken into consideration from activity to noise levels.

I would not be making direct eye contact, trying to touch or continue to speak to her if she is shying away. What we do with shy/fearful dogs is turn our head when we approach and talk to them or try to hand them a treat. This takes away some of the threat. We wait for them to be comfortable enough to come sit with us on the floor before taking a seat next to them. I would grab a handful of yummy treats, chicken , hot dog slivers etc, and jsut sit on the floor with your attention directed at the TV and lay your hand out on the floor with one treat in it and wait for her to approach and take it, then put another treat in your hand and repeat. Don't look at her and at first do not talk to her. Eventually you can do one or two words of soft talk, like good girl, but do not look or move so there is no other threat. Gradually you want to add in briefly little movement and a quick glance.

Keep in mind that some breeder dogs never learn to adapt to a life in a loving home and they can gain only so much trust and that is the life you will lead with them. Love is not enough to make a dog change.

Once she gets more secure with you start obedience training in a positive method. She sits, you give a treat. Even that has to be taken slowly but the more you can work training in the better because this makes you more predictable in your actions and builds a bond between you.