Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

I have a shih tzu that is 14month old, he eats all cornices,

Customer Question

I have a shih tzu that is 14month old, he eats all cornices, jumps on people plays but bitEs our hands AND VOMITS at least every second day
I have taken him to the vet plenty of times and am at a loss now as to what to do????
Please help
Annie
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

Is he neutered?

Has he ever been to obedience classes at all?

What do you do when he misbehaves?

Is he vomiting large amounts?

Is he a nervous dog by nature?

Is he vomiting mostly in the mornings?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he is neutered, he has been to puppy school only, he vomits bile every second day sometimes a few times a day, The vet said he has IBD but it is driving me crazy - mostly vomits early morning, but he does also vomit lunch time and late afternoon. We have him on a food trial of Crocodile and Tapioca sk200 at the moment and he seems to be getting worse, I am at a total loss as to what to do??
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information.

At this point, if this were my dog, I think I'd try a diet of boiled white rice and boiled chicken in very small amounts several times through out the day.

You should also talk to your vet about adding an acid reducer or reflux medication such as Prilosec or Tagamet to see if that helps with the bile and keeps him from vomiting.

I would also increase the amount of exercise he's getting. Some of the behaviors you describe...the mouthing of your hands and jumping on people could simply be due to the fact he's a young dog with a lot of excess energy. Getting him on a regimen of walking a mile or two daily (obviously you'll need to build up to that distance) will help burn off that excess energy.

If you're unable to walk him for that distance, then investing in a doggy backpack that he can wear will help. It can carry your keys, a bottle of water, some treats and poop bags for him and the little bit of extra weight will tire him out faster than if he wasn't wearing it.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you we have him on Zantac but still does not help
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

I'd see about switching to a different medication....it's possible that the Zantac doesn't work but the Prilosec will.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome.