Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I HAVE A 3 YR OLD POODLE. SOMETIMES SHE IS AFRAID OF

Customer Question

i HAVE A 3 YR OLD POODLE. SOMETIMES SHE IS AFRAID OF EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY. WHEN ONE OF THE FAMILY MEMBERS GETS CLOSE TO HER, SHE RUNS AWAY. SHE ACTS FRIGHTENED AND DOES NOT EAT WELL. SHE IS USUALLY HAPPY AND PLAYFUL, BUT FOR THE LAST SEVERAL DAYS, SHE JUST LAYS AROUND. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT'S GOING ON WITH HER?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

I don't quite understand the situation. You say that she is scared of everyone but also state this has happened 3-4 times before. I guess I need to know if this fear is a new behavior?

If it is new behavior, how long has it been going on?

Is she arching her back at all?

Is she hiding in out of the way places?

Was she fed any unusual treats before this started such as fatty foods, bacon, ham, etc?

Has she ingested any non food items?

Is she spayed?

Is she picked up often? If so, how is she picked up?

Is she allowed on furniture?

If so is she jumping normally and using stairs?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Just writing again to see if you still need help or if the situation resolved itself. If you still need help answering the information request I sent before will help me give you an informed answer. Here they are again.

Is she arching her back at all?

Is she hiding in out of the way places?

Has she ingested any non food items?

Is she spayed?

Is she allowed on furniture?

If you no longer need an answer to that question perhaps there is a different situation you need help with. I am a behaviorist with a strong background in health issues as well.