Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

We have an 11 week old Boston terrier. The perfect puppy so

Customer Question

We have an 11 week old Boston terrier. The perfect puppy so far. She is very responsive to corrections. Doesn't nip. Follows us around and responds well to sit and come. Her potty training is coming along with some accidents. Crate she is good in but longest she has been in there is 2 hours. We are leaving for vacation for 10 days and was thinking of sending her to a training lodging in our area. Is it too young to send her there? Our other option is to leave her at our house with friends who also have an adult Boston who is great with her. She will be in her crate more though as they both work. Probably around 5 hours at a stretch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog training?
Customer: Huh? Was that an answer for someone else?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

It is never too early to begin training as you can see from what you've done with her at home and if you will be out of town, why not have her somewhere where she will get some training time in also and make the most of your time apart?

If her vaccines are up to date and she meets the requirements that the training facility as set forth (regarding vaccinations, deworming, flea prevention, etc) then I see no reason not to take advantage of your absence and get her into a program at the same time. You can tell the facility what you would like her to work on and they can do it for you while you are gone. While she is there she will likely also get socialization and play time with other dogs which is only going to benefit her in the long run. Given the work schedule of your friends, she will likely get more run around and interactive time at a boarding/training facility set up in a doggie daycare situation.

Of course, there are risks to boarding and trading facilities (I think of kids in daycare) such as contagious diseases, fights, etc but a well run facility takes precautions to prevent these overall and in general the benefits of having her professionally trained and socialized with other dogs outweighs any risks.

Does this help to answer your questions today? If you need additional information or clarification, please feel free to let me know.

Hi there,

I notice that you did not rate my answer or respond to my last message. If I have been helpful, i would appreciate a positive rating as this is the only way I can be paid for my time as the website will not know that I have been helpful otherwise.

Have you made a decision yet? Is there something I can help you with? Do you have additional concerns about your puppy that you would like to discuss?