PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My ex-husband feeds my dog only from s plate, by hand,

Customer Question

My ex-husband feeds my dog only from his plate, by hand, Although i feed my dog people food, I have been forced to, I feed her a diet that has been approved by my vet, My dog, when she is with me, sometimes won't eat for days because of this. We share custody of their little toy poodle. What are your thoughts on this?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Your ex-husband's behavior is extremely risky. We know that dogs who are fed human food are at a higher risk of pancreatitis and other GI upsets. Many foods are toxic to dogs that people don't realize can harm them (like foods containing onion, raisins, grapes, etc). Your husband is playing with fire is the worst way as its your companion's health that will suffer because of this. Additionally, he's setting into motion the dog's preference for more delectable foods which will only complete the cycle turning it into a catch-22.

I would try to stick to your guns when it comes to feeding her. There are some foods that I recommend to people who have dogs who prefer 'human' foods and this might be at least a compromise on your part without risking her health. These foods are canned and modeled off of human meals without being high in sodium, fat, etc.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, Luba. Do you have other questions?

Hi Luba,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?