Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My dog just starting eating blankets. German Shepard 6 yrs

Customer Question

My dog just starting eating blankets. German Shepard 6 yrs old. Chewd my carpet ate it to. What would msje a fog fo this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: Esa trained never has fone this before.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What is her daily routine like?

Has anything changed in her life, such as are there new people around, is she left alone a bit more, has her exercise routine diminished, etc.?

Does she do this when you are with her or when you are not with her?

What have you tried so far to stop it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is usually in house never has done this before. She loves playing with her toys. Shell guard her toys and constantly bark fir you to throw. She just came out of heat. Has had a litter loves being a mother. Just one morning got up and she had eaten the carpet. Then this morning a bkanket.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She does thus at night when were sleeping????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There has been grand kids over.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Webplay with her everyday with her ball.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. I suspect it is due to her heat cycle and mothering as it is a common thing for dogs to do while nesting.

Are the puppies still with her or did she just go through a heat cycle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her pups are a yr old. This is her second heat. But whule in heat she wanted to be breed. Thats what i was thinking because when in full blown heat she was trying really hard ti get in my males pen...she is the best mother i have never had a dog such a good mother...i have jenneled her fir awhile today because im scared shell eat this stuff and it wont pass. I have checked her poop and the blankets and caroet has cime out. Thsts hiw i found out who it was. I have other dogs in house and didn't kniw whi it was till i found it in her poop.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. It sounds like she has strong mothering and nesting instincts. The best thing to do is kennel her until this blows over. We don't want her to get an obstruction from eating a blanket.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Sometimes one of those stuffed dogs with the heartbeat can settle a mom down.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A stuffed dog with heart beat were fo you get that at???
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Amazon has them , they put them out for puppies to mimic the moms heartbeat. Let me see if I can find a link for you:)